No preview image in video sequence editor

I hesitated to bother over this question, but can’t seem to resolve the problem.
I have played with the video sequence editor in 2.49 and found it pretty clear and all seems to work as it suppose to on my laptop. I verified with a simple image and video and the preview shows great.
I can’t get any 2.5/2.53 versions to show a preview image on my laptop. I just get a white preview screen, no matter what I try. If I render the sequence, the video is fine.

All versions work fine on my desktop. Go figure.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Must be a problem in only a very small group.
That was like the sculpting feature. I was unable to use it until 2.53. Now that works great.
I guess it’s just time, but I’m happy to wait because blender is worth it.
Thanks any way.

Hey,

Can we please put some new effort into this thread, cause I am suffering the same problem. Because I have been trying for so long now, I decided to have a look at BA to see if I could resolve the problem from here, but I found this forum. It’s the first reply I found but could some guru help us out here.

I tried 2.4x without any probs, but if I try to do the same in 2.5, I just get this white screen. it’s pretty anoying but hey, maybe you guys can help,

please

thanks,

Hewi

Nice to know my poor old laptop is not the only one. Like I said, I was having a problem with the sculpting causing the program to crash and it didn’t seem like a common problem due to the lack of people on the thread. I was really glad when it started working after 2.53 beta.

Maybe this will be the same.
Thanks.

The only way I can get just white preview image is to have selected the ‘Use Color Balance’ selected in the strip properties with a high value for the Filter / Lift colour.
Other than that I can’t help as I don’t see a problem.

People having problems: what graphics card does your system have? I have seen this problem too on one system with integrated graphics, but it’s intermittent :frowning:

I’m using a Toshiba Laptop, ATI Radeon. Blender 2.49 preview works fine with pics or video. As far as messing around with any settings, just using start up defaults. I’ve tried with several types of images and video clips and get the same white preview screen. If I render the scene, it will create a working video, just not able to see what your working with to start.

I have no doubt it’s something to do with support for my video card, just as was the sculpting problem.
I have another desktop with 2.53 and it works fine. (Internal video), Home built system.

I’m hoping future updates will fix this. I just wanted to record the problem in the forum.
Time has a way of healing they say, it works great with sculpting now.
Thanks

Well we have Blender 2.54 and I’m still not getting any type of preview in the sequencer.
Anyone have a link to someone specific I can get a bug report to.
Thanks for any ideas.

Look in the blender help menu, there is a link there to report a bug

I tried different types of video files, I tried different types of images, I tried different computers, I tried different settings, I tried tweaking color balance, I tried force-feeding it in, No success. All I see is this white preview window whenever it should show picture or vids. Even worse, when I tried to open an image file, blender crashes on me. maybe time has come to report this little bug

a little frustrated kind regards

Dont’ take this the wrong way but you can’t really expect people to expend time, ‘putting in some effort on this thread’, trying to solve your problem, your questionable bug if you don’t provide some really really basic information. :slight_smile:

Like what freaking version of 2.5, where from, svn build number in the splash, what freaking OS, what freaking video formats, what freaking image formats, what freaking hardware, video card?

Saying you’ve tried it on loads of machines is no better. There are thousands of users out their with different machines having no problem with white playback. :slight_smile:

Now who’s frustrated :wink:

y|h-ellow,

Thanks for putting some effort in this thread … :wink:

I tried every single blender build from 2.5alpha 0 up until the latest 2.54beta, and I always download from the blender.org home site, none of them work on the machines I used.

Now the machines: they all have windows as OS, mine at home has windows 2000, the others had xp, xp professional and vista.
The hardware ranges from single core .5 Ghz with some ram up to 2 Ghz dual core with 6 gigs of ram.

graphics cards: HD intel integrated, NVIDIA GeForce and a radion Graphics card, all with enough specs to be running high def games and video’s

The video formats tried: avi, mpeg, quitime, wmv
picture formats tried: .jpeg, .png, .gif

And no, I am not frustrated at all, cause I have tons of things to do that does not require the VSE. but I think it’s a little sad that, when I feel like it, I cannot work on these projects that do require the VSE. Then I have to open up the 2.4x builds that do work, and that’s quite a change-around, workflow and mind wise.

thanks and ragards

Hewi

Do you install these or just unzip and run?

As a start, if you’ve install them in the past, try just downloading a zipped version and running the blender.exe without installing. Just in case this has to do with old user settings left over from an early alpha or something.

Then test your formats, btw just an aside, .avi, .mov, .wmv are all containers which contain a specific codec of numerous types.

• I tried install and unzip, both an several machines described above

• I installed all possible codecs known to man and made blender be able to find them, no salvation

My brother has a linux machine with this problem, it is ubuntu 10.04 with ati graphics card.

Here is the real kicker, he also is tryingto use blender in a classroom that has 10 computers all the same configuration running WinXP (don’t know the graphics card, I will try and find out, but all of them are doing this.) We tried everything under the sun, and it is absolutely independent of what type of file is in the sequence editor, white screen as above. We spent two hours troubleshooting this and there is nothing I can do. I will try and get the specific machine specs, I do know that both of these sets of machines are single core older machines that only support 32 bit operating systems. All of the other machines we are using that are newer do not have this bug with the exact same versions of blender (both 2.43, and 2.54 from graphicall.org) but the other machines support 64-bit so that’s what we use.

Did a bug report ever get submitted for this, because if it hasn’t, I’ll do it. If we can squash this one I know we’ll have a lot of kids using blender.

I submitted this to the bug tracker:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=24013&group_id=9&atid=498

Make sure you’ve absolutely the latest drivers for your videocard.

Also, try different draw methods inside blender: User Preferences > System > Draw Method.

/Nathan

Hey JesterKing,

I checked the drivers of all video cards used on all systems I used and they are all fine, as in they should be displaying the video.

I tried the different draw methods, but that also does not resolve the problem.

What I find very strange though, is the fact that when you go to the sequence editor, you click open --> movie --> you browse the right folder and you can actually preview all the vids. The content is shown there. you can see like the first frame of this video. This is what strikes me the most …

And I continue: if I open up UV image editor, I can open and look at pictures,no probs, jpgs, bmp, png, … you name it, you got it and I can look at it BUT if i open up the same pictures in the VSE and do preview, the holy whiteness appears,

Hewi

Also, when you render, you can see the frames rendering (in the render window) from the movie just fine too. Blender sees and renders the movie just fine, it just doesn’t preview it. You can go to openshot video editor and preview the movie fine there. My brother has seen this on Linux and xp. Also in the preview window we pressed n to show properties and checked opengl and changed every property we could fine and still nothing but white for the preview.

While my Vista machine (at home) has no problems, the work machine I am at now does (XP Pro) with a bunch of different builds from Graphicall.

The same white screen of death. I have seen this in the past related to Open GL but that was with internal scenes in preview mode.

I thought that it was just me, I don’t recall having this problem in the recent past though (with older builds).

EDIT
I just opened an old build (2.5? date of creation: says March 2010) on the XP pro and found that it would display an image in the VSE preview window. But this build was the one that wouldnt zoom the view to fit the window (cant get the splash screen up for build number).
EDIT
Just dug out 2.49 and it works great on the XP Pro.