Hey guys, recently I’ve been working on an addon that displays a mini-map in the corner of the node editor:
It has lots of controls for how it is displayed, including the ability to only show top level nodes (ones that aren’t in frames), and all colours are customizable.
It can also be used to navigate the node tree using these controls:
- Clicking and dragging on the mini-map pans the view
- Double-clicking the mini-map centres the view to fit all nodes in the tree
- Clicking on a single node will centre on that node.
You can get it here for free:
One thing to bear in mind is that on very large node trees (400 nodes +) it can start to slow down the 2d viewport, especially while moving/editing nodes, though this won’t affect most people.
It can also function as the world’s worst and only node based pixel art editor!
If you have any questions/bugs/feature requests, feel free to reply, and I’ll see what I can do!
I hope you like it!
Great idea, any solution that allows users to speed up navigation through an extensive node tree is very useful.
This is AWESOME. Hands down one of the best add-ons I’ve seen recently. Would it be cool with you if I made a video reviewing this?
@josephhansen Yeah, sure, I’d love to see that!
I just found a bug- trying to show the minimap creates an error if you’re in the World Shader. I’ll go make an issue on GitHub as well
Just fixed it, thanks for pointing that out!
Nice addon, thank you.
Btw the hamster video is sick
Glad you like it! I didn’t expect to make a pixel art editor, but hey, if it works xD
Updated addon to first official release version 1.0.0:
- Added the ability to select which corner to put the mini-map in
- Added more granular controls for the look of the mini-map
- The addon now works properly in the world shader editor
- Some minor performance improvements
- Fixed a couple of small bugs
Get it here:
I would like to say thanks for this addon! It makes it so much easier to navigate large trees, and acts as a nice visual reference.
Great, I’m really glad it’s useful for people!