Noise Texture Showing Solid

I’m not sure if this is something buggy in 2.81 Alpha, or if I’m doing something stupid, or missing something obvious (my money is on one of the last two), but I constantly run into an issue of noise maps not looking “noisey” and instead just showing up as a solid colour/tone.

If I open the default project, and just put on a noise map, then everything looks fine as expected:

However, if I try to add a noise map to some rather simple objects I’ve created in other project files then all I get is a solid colour. I’ve made sure the object is unwrapped and still nothing works.

The weird thing is that if I save the default cube with the noise map, and then I append it into my other projects, the noise map texture changes to solid again. Sometimes it actually does append and look correct on the cube, but then if I apply that texture to other objects they don’t get the same effect at all. Playing around with the scale does nothing at all other than change the entire colour.

Last time I ran into the issue it seemed to be fixed the next time I opened blender, but a restart isn’t solving the problem this time. Any ideas?

Are you sure you are on the right Viewport Shading on the .blend which does not work ? :smiley:

noise

Yep, tried flipping between view display but nothing happens, and the objects render out incorrectly too.

These two objects have the exact same material applied (just the default shader with noise texture applied) - the cube works fine, the cylinder shape just shows a solid colour. If I mess with the scale then the cube noise will adjust in size and the cylinder just changes colour randomly:

Might come from UV mapping then. Sharing a .blend would help.
By the way you material looks weird, no output connected in the Principled BSDF :thinking:

Noise.blend (558.7 KB)

I’m guessing it looks weird due to node wrangler.

Have attached a .blend file in any case, on my end it is still showing as two simple objects, both unwrapped, the cylinder doesn’t like the noise texture though :confused: Applying the scale didnt seem to help so im at a loss

On your file, the cylinder looks fine. Here’s my rendered view without touching anything:

Cylinder looks exactly the same as the cube. Unsurprising.

Turn it off and back on again is my advice.

Weird. I’ve turned PC off and on again and mine still shows incorrectly. But then if I add a third object, the original two show correctly and only the most recent object shows incorrectly. And duplicating the objects and materials just gets weirder.

Wondering if it could somehow be a hardware issue? Might see if I can replicate the problem on another PC.

The only thing I can think of is, make sure you only have a single output node on your material?

Hi there. I’m looking at your .blend but I cannot reproduce the error. As others have found, your scene is displayed perfectly both in Cycles and Eevee.
The error in your screenshot looks like the result of using an Object node’s Location output as texture coordinates, but I can see that’s not the case.
I’ve checked for all the usual culprits which produce errors like this but they are not present in your .blend.
This makes me suspect that there is something uniquely wrong with your particular setup, either your hardware, some other piece of software on your system, or possibly the version of Blender. Have you tried different Blender versions?

The only thing I can suggest is to use a Texture Coordinates node to explicitly tell the noise texture which coordinates it should use. When no coordinates are connected, a noise texture will by default use the object’s “generated” coordinates (essentially the object’s bounding box) so you could try connecting it to the UV output, or the Object output.

Thanks for all the replies, glad to know I wasn’t missing anything too obvious I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried using Texture Coordinates but all of them gave the same result, but having said that I haven’t been able to replicate the issue on any other PCs so I suspect it’s that one specific device (which, granted, is rather old and probably below the recommended specs for running blender). Whether it’s hardware or software related I’m not entirely sure, but until I start noticing issues on other devices I guess I’ll just shrug and move on.