Noise UV distortion with ocean modifier issue

Hi guy’s,

I have a UV problem here that i cannot figure out yet, i made a plane and then i add an ocean modifier then i go to shading and applying noise texture get distorted probably because of the UV generated by the ocean modifier since applying on a plane alone it work fine without any distortion.

Here a pic ;

I tried to convert the ocean modifier to a mesh and then i applied the follow active quad and i could not get a flat result with it so i tried the iron face from textools and i still have that distortion on the noise!

I have also tried each texture coordinate without success.

Need assistance please?

Never mind guy’s i have fix it by applying another texture coordinate to the vector of the noise modifier and i set it to UV.

But i don’t understand why i had to put another one on the noise node since there was already one at the beginning of the chain nodes!

A noise texture uses by default the Generated coordinates, which represents the normalized bounding box of the object (where each component is mapped to the [0, 1] interval). In the case of the Ocean mesh, the height is normally far smaller that its width and length; thought it still gets a mapping from 0 to 1.
This unproportional Z value is then multiplied by the noise scale, making the noise values to be sampled in a huge Z region, which creates the visible distortion.
You can see the distortion getting minimized if you multiply the Generated coordinates by [1, 1, 0].

1 Like

Could also use object based texture coords or generated based coords with auto texture space turned off and reset to 1 (I think).

Thank Secrop for the very concise explanation now i understand why.

Hi Carl, i have tried object and the distortion was still there.