Noisy Cycles X renders?

Forgot one thing. If you’re doing a lot of light transport through curtains (diffuse + translucency), that is prone to generating noise too. If the outside light doesn’t change, you could bake out the response, and swap out the translucency for a textured emission using the bake. Might have to do one for each side. I’m not sure how well this will work, but the curtain should now be acting as a direct light source to the scene, and should be generating less noise. Leave any transparency masks (i.e. curtain fibers) as is.

1 Like

Hi Mixxer,
I just did a test once.

I now get better results when seed is disabled.
(maybe because of the Adaptive Sampling)

Otherwise, completely normal settings.
Noise Threshold - 0.025 (scene dependent)

Denoiser - OpenImageDenoise
Passes - Albedo and Normal
Prefilter - Accurate

without-seed

with-seed

1 Like

Hi everybody. Sorry for being MIA. Some crazy times. Worked picked up. Then got sick and been out of the game for a bit. Back now. Thanks for all the replies. I will start addressing the points.

This sounds interesting. The compositor is a side of Blender I don’t really know much. How would you go about doing that? I had thought about having it much brighter than I want the final result to be and then doing the contrast and exposure later either in Gimp or Davinci Resolve. But I’m guessing in Blender I will have more control as it will be done before the render, right?

the compositor works on post-rendered scenes, but allows you more control over passes, etc. If you add more light to the image to alleviate the noise, you can always export it in .exr and modify the exposure after the fact there, like processing a RAW image from a DSLR