Normal map doesn't bake

I’m trying to bake a normal map from a high poly model to a low poly model. The scene is made for example. No information is baked onto the normal map. I tried to repeat the steps on the video in YouTube, but there is no result. What could be the problem?

Hello!

Cube_high doesn’t appear to be selected.
Its row is highlighted in outliner, but it doesn’t count as selected - it should have an outline in 3D viewport and sort of orange color in Outliner.
Check if you set it to be Un-selectable: in Outliner, Filter menu, check second icon - a little arrow. It would bring Selectable toggles

…though, if it were the case there should’ve been an error message at the bottom :thinking:

The screenshot in the topic is really not selected, but the problem still remains

Huh… okay, I can’t see anything else amiss in the screenshot, then.
Is lowpoly Unwrapped correctly?

Maybe you could share the file?

Of course
Test_cube.blend (886.6 KB)

Oh, you need to set some Cage Extrusion, because your lowpoly is completely inside the highpoly and no ray hits its mark :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I tried many extrusion options, but all options lead to incorrect normals

I think I managed to bake a correct map.

Couple things first, you always need to smooth shade both of your meshes, so smooth shade your low poly. Then I had to inflate the high poly just a little, faces overlap with each other and cause a problem, since this is a simple mesh inflating won’t change anything. And then you need to increase margin size. this will smooth the edges. Also you might wanna add a bit of margin to uv islands too, this way the bleed won’t affect other uv islands.

qweguj

3 Likes

Considering that lowpoly is shaded flat these results are not wrong exactly.
If you had a seam at every sharp edge with some margin between UV islands there would be no artifacts (but a lot of seams).

So, shading lowpoly smooth (or maybe with Hardened Normals?) is easier solution in this case. Depends on your goals.

1 Like

Shade smooth for the low poly model really helped. Thank you)

1 Like