Normal Map not working

So, I was working on some textures in Substance Painter for a model. I exported them just like I always do and always have done and when I load the normal map, it’s broken. I can’t understand why.

It looks like this:

Yes, it’s set to Non-Color Data, yes it’s plugged to a Normal Map Node, yes it’s set to tangent space and yes I’ve exported it a few times with different presets and it doesn’t work. This does not make any sense.

Why is it broken?

Hard to diagnose without more info. Would you mind to share the mesh and the texture (as a blend file / image)?

It sounds like you have done the same thing between SP and Blender before, so it might not be the issue here. But still what comes to mind is a common problem with importing normal maps, that DirectX and OpenGL have the green color channel inverted, and when not compensating for that when needed, one realizes it quickly because of weird artifacts appearing.

3 Likes

It happens to me sometimes, I don’t have a proper fix, but try:

• To disable/enable the auto smooth normal under the mesh panel
  • Decrease the normal distance in the normal map node - with lower values, the artifacts tend to disappear
  • If you baked it yourself, make sure that the source and the target mesh are both either smooth or flat shaded, but not a mix of both
1 Like

Hi there,

Yes, indeed, as @omgold also hinted, it may be the map type.
Try inverting the green value (separate RGB, invert green, then combine again).

Another error, that looks like this, is when you bake normal as sRGB, but use it as non-color, or vice versa.

Always bake normal as non-color and use it as non-color :blush:

Did you check the mesh before substance for any duplicate mesh, overlapping mesh, or interior faces? All of these can cause similar problems…

1 Like