Normal Maps are generating cut lines

I do some developing in Poser. In Poser allot of the times when I hook up Normal maps I get these weird lines where the seams come together, like shadows I guess explains it. I didn’t expect to have this same issue in Blender. I’m just now starting to learn so I might have things hooked up incorrectly or what…

Please see the screen grab below for a clearer idea of what I’m referring too…

When the normals are removed these lines all go away.

Dunno what may be the actual issue of this, but have u tried to apply some smoothness along with normal map being enabled?

Otherwise, maybe u should do some work in an edit mode…

You could also try to play with your images texture node settings by switching from Linear/Flat/Repeat to something else, OR choose ur image texture node that connected to your Base Color and hit Ctrl+T to add both Mapping and Texture Coordinate nodes and play with its settings

IMO, most likely it’s just some problems with texture coordinates… I may be wrong since I am never faced myself with man sculpting, but you can give it a try whatever…

Hiya,

Do you mean smoothness to the model? If so yes, that is enabled, took me a minute to find that but easy to enable and while it smoothed out the geometry lines the darks and lights along the seams are still there.

I did a render and these lines remain in Blender but are smoothed and evened out in Poser so I’m not sure what’s going on.

The Normal map node is a bit deceiving, although it has a “color” input, your normal map image should be set to non-color data.
In the color space drop-down of the image node set it to non-color, this should get rid of at least some of the problem.

1 Like

Thank you so much. That makes sense. Even though a Normal map is sort of a color map, it’s blue! LOL BUT of course it’s an “internal map” and most if not all of those types are always black, white or grayscale. I’m currently watching some tutorials from this link:

Blender isn’t up right now so I’ll make a note and look over those settings when I get a minute!

Richard

That was IT. Non Color space removed all the lines. :grin:

1 Like