Normal values far too sensitive?

I’m having a problem tuning in the normal map value on a texture. I want a subtle effect and would like to tune it in, but anything over .003 looks like a raisin.

Some more info in case it has to do with world scale:
I am working in metric.
I am working on a robot that is 2 meters tall.
I am working on texturing some of the smaller parts (about 3 centimeters or so big), but it doesn’t seem to matter which piece it’s on. Even the large pieces get ‘over’ normaled.

I can’t imagine that it’s really supposed to be so sensitive to adjust, but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

If anyone has any help off the top of their head, I’d appreciate it. I’ll try to get a blend file uploaded tonight in case that might help.

Thanks!

First thing to do is reset all your object scales. In object mode use Ctrl+A / Scale.

I have done that already. The objects are scaled to 1.

My modeling process may be at fault though:
Create a box
Scale it to the approximate desired size
Enter edit mode and model object
Exit edit mode
Apply scale

While looking around it seems that how I think of scale may be at odds with how Blender works with scale in and out of edit mode.

If this is the case, how can I fix what I’ve done now that I don’t have a record of what the original scales were?

Blend file including maps ?

It’ll have to wait until tonight or tomorrow morning now that I’m at work, but yes, that will likely be the best way for someone to help out further.

Thanks for trying so far!

Oh, I should note that I’m currently trying to get generated textures to work on these items rather than UV mapped texture maps. I didn’t think that should make much of a difference as they only go from black to white anyway, but I could be wrong on that, too.

I had to strip almost everything out of it to make it small enough for upload and the resulting render looks awful. I’m not sure what’s happening as I can’t figure out what bits are causing it. Fortunately, the piece in question doesn’t use any texture maps, but instead uses a generated musgrave.

The image shows the normal set to approximately .2. It’s of an arm bracket. I’m hoping to use a normal map to make it look as if it were cast metal with a coat of paint, but finding it very difficult to get values that are easy to adjust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

robot.blend (1.03 MB)