Northern Lights in a Jar

One of items on my bucket list is seeing the northern lights.
So I had this idea of making some starry night with northern stars and some trees and putting it in a glass jar so you can keep it with you.

I’m not good with realistic stuff, but I wanted to give it a try.

97 Likes

Really nice! I like the concept. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s amazing in every way, honestly. I love the way that the light refracts on the top part of the jar

2 Likes

Beautiful render. Northern lights are a wonder to see. I never got to see the colored ones but I got a chance to see the green florescent sheet ones racing across the night sky. It is a little awe inspiring. They look just like sheets of light marching across the sky. One after another flapping in the solar winds.

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing concept and execution

1 Like

Super fun concept! Nice job on the colors as well as the ribbon effect. I live in Alaska and I get to see them every winter and you’ve done a good job of “capturing” the Aurora.

2 Likes

It reminds me of one of my favorite winter activities, chasing the Aurora. If anything you can see the ribbon effect in this shot, we don’t often get to see blue, purple and sometimes pink makes an appearance with that green.

5 Likes

You’re #featured!

3 Likes

Love the idea, looks great!

How did you achieve the northern lights? Planes with textures?

Also, I don’t know if it’s just me, but the perspective feels off. Was this rendered out in orthographic view?

2 Likes

@Mohamed_Chahin Congratulations you featured! :laughing::+1: How did you create the northern lights and trees? They are very cool! I agree with @Linkun the refraction of the light and objects is very impressive. Well done! :grin:

1 Like

OH my , how can it be so beautiful every single time xD, Lucky you :smiley:
and thank you so much

Yeah just planes with textures, I searched for northern lights textures but everything is copyrighted , I could’ve painted them but I chose the lazy way got some northern lights off the internet put it on a texture , and used the color ramp to make the other stuff invisible xD
and Yeah 90% of my renders are in orthographic , I prefer it that way (that’s just my personal preference)

1 Like

nice work !!!

What really makes this work is that it’s a refreshing new concept and very well-executed.

A… Aurora borealis! At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely with this jar?

Jokes aside this is a very good render.

Great idea. Really nice work! Seams to be a lot of fun while setting all things up :wink:

I featured you on BlenderNation, enjoy :slight_smile:

Whoa, is this a spam account?

Next time, please just flag the post as spam. That will help us moderate it faster.

Got it, will do. :+1:

I was more surprised than anything. Don’t remember the last time I saw spam here.

1 Like