Northern Sky

this project was made from concept art by Ian Mcque

8 Likes

Can you tell us more about this “boat”? I’m having some trouble guessing its intended purpose – even for a sci-fi / fantasy world. It looks like a boat, but then it includes features that would make it immediately un-sea-worthy. The second image hints that this construction is intended to float in the air, but overall more questions are raised than answered.

Nice modeling, lighting, materials, and renders… great job, but confusing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you would have to ask Ian Mcque himself about that. He has a bunch more in this style and series.
I guess it is up to the viewer to give most of it a purpose.

2 Likes

Awesome model and im a sucker for Ian’s designs.
How about putting it into a high altitude scene?

Uøi think that the scale is coming across but to further understand the size it would be cool to see it with humans aboard. They could be really low poly. But would add even more to the scale.
Nice textures as well.

1 Like

you ask smart questions compared to my dumb answers😂
the tl;dr would be:
this is a ship from a world created by Ian Mcque
that world is stylized in 3d artists terms
this is only on of maybe 50 ships or more. all of them are air born

this one in particular is considered one of the larger ships.
its purpose would be to transport people at long distances

i don’t know about the lore of why the ships fly , and is there normal water ships or not. or was the first invention was a flying ship before ships were intended for water traversal .

the world is amazing. with many character and cities. its amazing.

and thank you so muck. yes, i did fell short when describing what i’ve made. i don’t have the concept artists mentality.
but its definitely an important step. thank you for asking the questions

2 Likes

thanks you, i appreciate it
yeah. i really wanted to put it behind a city or on a dock . even me seeing it now, the scale if obscured.
but I’m definitely coming back to it

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the clarification! If I were cleverer, I would have looked up the artwork of Ian Mcque to get the context I needed. It makes more sense now. Thank you for sharing your excellent realization of this piece. You did a great blender job!! :smiley:

1 Like

yeah, i know some stuff by heart because i’ve been following him for a while and scene many of his artworks.
i really glad you like it

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like