Not A Threat!

My favorite duo is in trouble! Had so much fun lighting this scene and making it come to life!

41 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

3 Likes

What a cute pair! Do they have other adventures?

1 Like

Im working on a couple things right now (:(:

1 Like

Wooow! So cute!:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

So cute. Welldone

1 Like

Great work, I like the colors. Do you have any insight into how you did the lighting? I’m trying to do something similar, but I’m failing miserably.

1 Like

Totally! I must say it took me a while, but it started with figuring out what is happening in the scene and what i want to tell. I looked at allot of references and art i really liked and tried some different things. In the end, for me, it helped that worked from foreground to background. Kind of seperating the image and making it easier to manage.
Hope this helped (:

1 Like

I see, thank you :wink:
It seems to be a pretty good approach. And on the more technical side, are you using HDRi here, or is everything illuminated with just lamps? Have you played around with exposure settings or post-processing? Sorry to be so curious, but your work is really very nicely lit, colorful and cartoonish - exactly the effect I would like to achieve, so I am trying to learn as much as possible.

1 Like

At first i did use an HDRI but i started to look too realistic and i wanted to have more control, so i ditched it. I made a “space” background and added that to an emission material on a cube which i put around the scene. It gave some nice fill light, and reflections, and fit the scene way better. The rest is basically just some big area lights put around the scene and still keeping in mind the good ol’ 3 point lighting on my character.

And yes there is definitely some post work as well. I like adding godrays and some haze in photoshop which shapes the light even more

I’ll add some examples on this threat when i get home from work (:slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, thank you :pray:

Here is the setup i used for the main characters. Some soft area lights filling up ambient space, and a strong spotlight as keylight.

And for the surrounding some planes with an emmision texture and some slight volume scatter.

And then here the render without any post work too compare :slight_smile:
Hope this helps!

2 Likes

So it’s simple yet very effective setup. Very interesting. Sorry for my curiosity and thank you so much for your kind and patient explanation, it’s super helpful. It means a lot to me!

1 Like

Yeah i tend to overcomplicate the lighting, but most of the time you dont need that much. And no worries! I’m glad i could help

1 Like