NSWF boundaries

I was just watching the new finished projects, when I stumbled over a discussion whether to #nsfw or not, and this reminded me of a question that I always wanted to ask in the past, so here it goes:

Is there any consensus for when exactly to use it?

The faq states that you need to apply the" #nsfw tag to any work that contains nudity, graphical violence etc.", but I think there is no consensus about the meaning of this.

I have the feeling this leads to (and I am stressing that I might be wrong here) that arguably artistic cases get slapped with a #nsfw tag, while the far more common ā€œbig-breasts-and-ass in tangasā€ posts often donā€™t. Also, I would argue that a policy ā€œif it shows a female nippleā€ is no longer a timely statement regarding on how we (most people?) want to go regarding gender equality, but it seems to me that this is often how #nsfw is argued for.

Is this something worth discussing?

Iā€™m deliberately NOT having this discussion as this is super hard to pin down, and would lead to a long list of ā€˜rulesā€™ that in turn would lead to people finding the boundaries of those rules. The ā€˜oldā€™ Blender Artists site had a very long list of such rules and it only made things worse. So the basic principle that applies to everything here is ā€˜donā€™t be an assholeā€™, and to apply common sense :slight_smile:

cc @moderators

10 Likes

I can see where you are coming from and respect your stance on it.

My point was, that I find that ā€œapplying common senseā€ often enough boils down to what an individual (moderator? I do not know who can apply a #nsfw tag to posts beside the authors) perceives as their own view on the matter.

To illustrate that point, while I am fine with both seeing nipples or hiding posts containing nipples, the often employed criterion of ā€œit shows a female nipple, so it is #nsfw, but male nipples are fineā€, is in my book not common sense, but a derogatory violation of your ā€œdonā€™t be an assholeā€ policy.

So, while I also would not think that a pool of strict ruled would be helpful here, I still would suggest to encourage moderators to moderate more in an uniform / unbiased fashion.

But as I said before, this might be only my own perception, and I respect your wish to not continue that discussion, thus Iā€™ll leave it with that. :slight_smile:

I think weā€™re doing a pretty good job - if thereā€™s unclarity or doubt we always have a private discussion first before tagging/removing something. If you feel weā€™re unfair in a specific case, please donā€™t hesitate to flag that and bring the issue to our attention. Us not publishing ā€˜rulesā€™ doesnā€™t mean we donā€™t listen to feedback :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I say ban all nipples, regardless of gender.

Put on a shirt, Rambo, nobody needs to see that!

Just a little joke for some levity, Iā€™m with @bartv, rigidly defining what is and isnā€™t nsfw is a sinister soup and judging on a case by case basis is much simpler.

2 Likes

I had an idea for one criteria we could follow, but then I remembered that this is the internet, and it could end up applying to far more than originally intended.

So Iā€™m not gonna say anything at all.

1 Like