Nvidia DLSS 3.5

Ray Reconstruction seems to be the next big thing succeeding denoisers.

And it’s already making it’s way not only to games but also creative apps like Nvidia omniverse and realtime renderers like Chaos Vantage and D5 Render.

I wonder when and if it will come to blender…

:thinking:

2 Likes

I am quite confident, as soon as Nvidia pays for it or if Nvidia provides the code for it.

This is after all Nvidia exclusive. You need a relatively new Nvidia GPU to run it.

1 Like

the Ray Reconstruction technique (DLSS3.5) works on all RTX cards, unlike frame generation (DLSS 3.0) which only works on 40 series.

So even GPUs from 5 years ago (RTX 20 series) can use it.

1 Like

Waiting for the asterisks and the fine print from Nvidia’s marketing department regarding that (as it may or may not have enhancements that will only work on Lovelace and any upcoming RTX 5xxx cards).

Even then, marketing 101 states that you never show a scenario where a new product expresses even the most minor of imperfections (in the case of AI, that means scenes which hew very close to what is in the training database).

I think it’s a great solution for speed; accuracy might be better than previous methods, but it’s not yet great for rendering purposes, specially for stills. Check, for instance, the texture on the wall on the right of screen, in the last video in the demo.

I wonder if there will be different profiles for the accuracy of the rendering, like number of paths vs weight of AI interpolation

If eevee next ever gets ray tracing support, this would be a big benefit, even just for viewport rendering.

When it comes to being gpu exclusive, I’ve given up hope that AMD actually cares about this kinda thing, but if Intel can create an alternative it would likely be available for all.

At this point, it is typical Nvidia marketing material. It is great, it is the best ever, it is the future.
I gave up getting useful technical answers from Nvidia :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have they not just stopped donating to the blender devfund?

Yes, they did.
But as far as I can tell, they still have developers working on Cycles. Though there haven’t been meeting notes in a while and the next meeting is scheduled for the 5th of September. We will find out whether or how Nvidia still is active.