Nvidia interactive ray tracing

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1249366628071.html

Cool stuff.

Interesting, but I’m finding this ‘world’s first interactive raytracing Engine’ claim more than a little annoying.

For instance, I have a bloody interactive raytracer sitting on my HD right now…it’s called Hypershot, and it’s pretty amazing. I’ve seen quite a few other interactive raytracers as well, so I don’t understand where this claim is coming from.

:o that video is… awesome… (drools everywhere)

Not that impressive, IMO. First of all, the machine has eight cores. And second of all, the image is rendered progressively, as is quite obvious when the camera moves. So it’s a realtime raytracer, but only at a quite low resolution using a lot of CPU power.

Not that impressive, IMO. First of all, the machine has eight cores. And second of all, the image is rendered progressively, as is quite obvious when the camera moves. So it’s a realtime raytracer, but only at a quite low resolution using a lot of CPU power.
Well, it’s clear you haven’t used it then. I have a single core machine (3 Ghz) with I gig of ram, and I can render out a 1.5 million poly scene @ 2560x1440 pixels with hdr, real dof, soft shadows, multiple bounce GI with indirect illumination and glossy reflections in 10 minutes. Tell me what other renderer can do this? Blender would take about 14 hours to do something comparable, and it still wouldn’t look as good, due to missing features.

Hypershot is amazing…if you had tried it, you’d know.

I was only talking about the realtime aspect of it demonstrated in the video. It might well be that Hypershot is faster than BI.

I was only talking about the realtime aspect of it demonstrated in the video. It might well be that Hypershot is faster than BI.

Have a go with the free trial, you’ll be impressed.

Not possible, I’m afraid. I don’t have internet at home, so I cannot do the ridiculous online activation required for the demo.

Modo (its renderer) is probably pretty close?