Nvidia Titan v

I’m not sure about render farms, but anyone building a renderfarm with these gpus isn’t interested in making a profit or running an efficient operation.

As far as mining goes, it does explicity exclude blockchain processing, which is the backbone of crypto-currencies, so I believe a mining farm is allowed. it’s gonna be a long time till you hit the break even point if you are getting enough of these cards to be considered a ‘datacenter’, especially with bitcoin prices falling.

The way the quote was presented, it would be the equivalent of the state forcing the big studios to phase out their use of commercial apps. in favor of Blender.

As I said, can of worms (because then the courts can try to do everything from set product prices to making decisions on CPU architecture to mandating a specific release cycle for software).

My guess is the Titan V would be a complete waste of money, vs a similar priced CPU only system. Where if you’re not a gamer you could divert the extra budget to CPU and have a very minimal video card. The Titan V is a machine learning card. Simply put. its not a rendering card or a gaming card. it’s a machine learning accelerator.

Yet its still the best at all 3… its just the best card that currently exists.

And for 3000 dollars you probably couldnt build a CPU only system that would beat the titan V in most simple scenes in cycles.

I mean you could buy 6 1070 TIs and put everyone to shame but still 3000 for a cpu only machine is not gonna be much use compared to what you could buy.

Actually a Ryzen Threadripper System comes pretty close - and you could build it for 3k.

Now that Cycles can handle system RAM then you can buy 6x (Any GPU mid range) cards and it would be faster than Titan V. Titan V for rendering or gaming is ridiculous for that price.

Ehem lol

hahaha :smiley: Lucky Bloke! I just had the chance to try a 1950x out ona friends place ( built that monster for him ). Now i want one myself haha. Guess ill have to slave my poor old FX-6300 a bit more until i have the funds for a Ripper :stuck_out_tongue:

btw. does the Ram not clock higher ?

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Threadripper 2 and Ryzen 2 out this year soon i think… Now i think a threadripper 2 if it had more cores due to extra space on a die shrink and higher clockspeed along with other optimizations would imo probably demolish a Titan V at cycles rendering. Im personally hoping for an upgrade from my Ryzen1700x to a Ryzen 2 - 12 core, using the same motherboard… This is just hope and speculation that they will increase the corecount further and it won’t require a new mobo.

Ryzen+ won’t require a new motherboard, but AMD’s focus right now is boosting performance by working on better IPC and higher clocks, not by adding more cores (so it’s still going to be 8 cores).

I imagine it will be the same way for Threadripper as well. AMD does not have to look at increasing core count this year since Ryzen+ multicore will easily top Intel Coffee Lake (especially after Meltdown and Spectre) and the Threadrippers are getting a bit more praise from enthusiasts than the Intel i9’s.

I think you’re right, although realistically never since the days of my 486 has there really been a time when you could drop in a cpu a generation ahead into your same mobo and get as good performance as a new pc, because it always comes down to the fact the newer cpu wants just that bit more memory bandwidth from RAM to feed fully, and the newer mobos always have better support for that newer RAM.

Well, you will still need to upgrade the motherboard if you want one optimized for the new Ryzen features coming in March (so a new machine might perform a little better than one from a year ago). Upgrading the processor will mean better performance either way though (so you can still do a noticeable upgrade with Ryzen+, then Ryzen 2 and finally Ryzen 3).