OBJ exporter anyone?

The OBJ exporter in 2.54 seems to have a need for some massive overhaul.

It should either store the last user settings (from previous exporting) or have more reasonable defaults such as selection only and normals enabled (and maybe Objects as OBJ Groups / Not asOBJ objects for to work with Maya).

Anyway, despite that, I am not able to just export a clean OBJ file without any traces of materials. If I go ahead and delete them manually from within the OBJ file it leaves me with a mesh without faces. Turns out it doesnt save the Uvs unless you unclick it from the menu and click it again. Man. Annoying…

Anyway I hope somebody sees that and feels challenged to improve that bit of code :slight_smile:

It’s maya not following the spec in this case, maya incorrectly ignores object tags and pretends that groups are objects instead…

To change the default in blender to workaround a maya bug sounds like a bad idea, though it’s easy to do yourself by editing the python file, in this case you need really minimal understanding of python to do that.

(I did that on the fbx exporter to give me a smoother pipe into maya…)

As for the materials thing, I’ve not tried, most packages seem to expect some kind of default material at the least…

You do realise that teh OBJ exporter in 2.54 was plagued by bad bugs that got introduced by accident…

there’s been quite a few commits in trunk since 2.54 was released that have been exporter related.

Maybe try a newer build?

I am running the latest build from Graphicall…

Well, there is an option to export Objects as groups which allows me to do that without touching the code.

I already changed the code to give me better presets but it just does not properly export without materials. I actually tried removing the whole part where it writes the materials to the file and it worked… However, it left me with a wireframe mesh in Maya… I’m still figuring this one out.

Ok I worked it all out and TextFX in npp worked like a charm. So it actually was Maya’s fault because I was referencing the obj in. (My idea was to refenrece the obj so I can pose it but still change the mesh and unwrap it in T-pose). It worked when I kept the materials as soon as I lose them Maya freaks out, gives me random foster duplis and meshes without faces…

edit: Now I happen to sporadically get missing faces… I think I should scrap that idea