OBJ import from Wings3d

Hey all,

Quick questions:

I’ve imported an OBJ model, which I saved in Wings3D, into Blender using the obj import script. It imports fine except for one thing: the model is imported as a whole and not as individual parts. So when I select the arm of the model, which I modelled separately in Wings, the entire model is selected. Which is what I don’t want.

The obj file imports fine into Art Of Illusion, Cinema 4d, and Max, so the problem doesn’t appear to be Wings.

Since I’m fairly new to blender, I’m not sure what the problem is or how I can work around it.

Anyway help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You probably are able to select the different parts by going into edit mode, and with your mouse cursor over the object you want to select, use the L-key (link), this should only select that object, unless it is connected in some way with another object. After you did that, you can use the p-key (while still in edit mode) to separate the object.

Another option for importing Wings3D models to Blender. Simply save the file as a .ndo file (nendo format) and use this script:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/scorpius/blender_suites.htm
(Download the nendo import/conversion suite)
It works very well.

I’ve been trying all night an most of the morning to get the script to work, but no matter how I set the python path I can’t get it to work. It says there’s no module named GUI.

Export from Wings3D as VRML… then just open it up in blender… keeps seperate objects as seperate objects. And requires no scripts… works great… just make sure you tesselate (triangulate) your object so as to get rid of any poly issues before you export as VRML.

Thanks for the advice, but I kind of need to keep from triangulating one copy of the mesh. I need one with quads for the cut scenes, then a triangulated version for real time.

You don’t need to triangulate… it just something I do for my meshes to not have to worry about problems in blender. It doubles or even sometimes triples the number of polys but… I’m not worried about memory requirements and none of my meshes have come close to the Blender limits yet.

Saving to VRML triangulates anyway. At least, it does when I use it. Is there a way to keep it from doing that?

What version of Wings3D are you using… I always use export selected… hmm… don’t know. I always have to do the triangulation myself. I’ve imported objects many times without triangulating and then found errors in blender and had to go back.

I mentioned this problem in a previous post.

I’m using Wings3d 0.98.03, Blender Creator 223; Blender Publisher 225 all on Mac OS X.2.2. When trying to import VRML 2 (wrl) files blender reports this error:

ERROR: Unknown file type or error. Check console.

Does Blender have it’s own ‘console’? How do I view it?

The second attempt at loading a file crashes the application. Is there somewhere to officially report bugs in Blender so that the developers can work on this?