Object dimensions not correct? (Scale applied, units correct, it's just displaying it incorrectly)

So as the screenshot shows, the scale is applied correctly (1.00 in each axis). And the object is showing as being 674mm long.
Except when I export it, it’s actually only about 410mm long.
If I go back to blender and use the measuring ruler… it actually IS only 410mm long. The 674 dimension is completely false.

I’ve already checked to see if there’s some other mesh data in the object off to one side that’s skewing the result, but there’s nothing there. And several other objects in are also incorrect.

From what I can tell, the object was bigger before, as it was part of one big object originally which I then cut up and separated into multiple parts. But the ‘dimensions’ data is still showing the original length, instead of the new length of that object.

This seems like a bug, I’ve certainly never come across it before so it must be something from Blender3. Any way to fix this?

There could be a vertex left over from the original object that you can’t see, but is counting towards the dimensions. It could also be an edge or a face, but my guess would be a vertex, since a loose vertice is really hard to notice if you’re not looking for it. I would imagine that your geometry may appear to have new dimensions, but actually has the old dimensions still.

however, if that was the case, when i export it to a slicer program the slicer would also see that vertex or edge as part of the file. But it doesnt.

But I also thought this, and so what I did was go into Edit mode, press L to grab a face on the object and all other linked parts of the mesh, and then invert selection. There wasn’t anything. I deleted just in case but it made no difference.

Selecting faces doesn’t select single vertices. Before inverting the selection go into vertex mode.

2 Likes

Drag-select a really large area to the front and then to the back of the model, “select all,” and delete.

1 Like

This, or just turn on X-Ray mode, select all the vertices you want, invert selection and delete

Have done this, was the first thing I did.

Have also done this, was the third thing I did (after trying the select inverse trick)

Have done this, was the second thing I did lol.

This is all very basic stuff, I wouldn’t be here if the problem was something obvious.

I’ve also selected the model mesh, and copied and then pasted it so that it created a new object instance, but that new instance still has the wrong dimensions.

I don’t know man, it could be a bug or a glitch, but of the three people that have responded so far, three people think you have extra geometry somewhere affecting the dimensions

Yeh I know, it’s the obvious solution, it’s certainly the first thing I thought of. But if there’s extra geometry, then it has zero verts somehow.

Or its invisible, which… Is actually a thought. Maybe I’ll try unhiding all while in edit mode. Though I think I’ve tried that, but I’m not sure so it’s worth a stab.

Fbx exporter have many configurations that generate wrong dimensions and scale.
I have many problens to export in the right scale also.
I use Unity to verify the model exported.
Floating point problems in conversion change the dimensions.
Don’t trust exported fbx files, they are not perfect.

This is all inside blender, and exported to stl. No fbx involved. Stl sizes are correct. Inside blender the measuring tool shows the correct amount, but the actual model dimensions are wrong.