object distribution - painting

Hi all,
does anybody know, if there is some script for blender which
allows me to paint selected object/group on another object? for example to paint trees
on the ground.
thanks
filip

You don’t need a script.

Just use particles with a weight painted vertex group set to effect density and visualisation set to the object of your choice.

eg.
http://surtspixels.googlepages.com/particle_placement.jpeg
Blend.

Thanks a lot mate,
is there any way to convert created particles into instanced geometry (vray export script does not support particles). And is there way to collapse all particles into one mesh?
filip

You could that with the old dupliverted particles, but I can’t find a way to do so with the new system. Maybe someone else knows of a way?

If you can find a way to convert the particle objects to real instances then you can join them all by selecting them and hitting ctrl-J in object mode.

Surt,
your system is elegant, but I still need some sort of paint function, for example placing trees just on large plane with no subdivision/vertexes inside, place them in a row/alley along a mapped road just by putting cursor on the plane. maybe my idea is stupid, am converting from max, where is great advanced painter script and it is possible to achieve this result in 10-20 minutes, blender is great and I am really missing similar function!
thanks again
filip

If you are willing to place them one at a time, you can do so by adding another mesh object turn on dupliverts, parent your tree object to it, then edit mode on that mesh with retopo on and ctrl-left-click to add new vertices/trees on the ground object.

It is more close what I needed, found a way to collapse them in to separate instances by shift ctrl a. just one more thing, could you tell me how to snap to the parent mesh during vertices creation? by default vertices are created above surface in position depending on view angle, they should be created on the mesh surface (even it is hilly). And is there possibility to add random local rotation and scale to all duplivert-objects?
many thanks
filip

That’s what I was looking for. :slight_smile:

When in edit mode, look in the “Editing” buttons on the “Mesh” panel and press the “Retopo” button. The whenever you add a vertex it will be placed on the Surface of any other object below it.

I don’t believe so, but with the particle method you can weight paint these attributes.

When in edit mode, look in the “Editing” buttons on the “Mesh” panel and press the “Retopo” button. The whenever you add a vertex it will be placed on the Surface of any other object below it.
I have to do something wrong, vertices after rbm+ctrl are created, sems to me at the surface, but when I rotate view they are below or above…

according your advice I should use lbm+ctrl, but it does not do anything (retopo + edit mesh on)…

using blender 2.48 can it be a bug?

You can also instance the objects on the particle system the other way around, using a Particle Instance modifier on the object you want to duplicate. Then it’s just a matter of pressing ‘apply’ to apply the modifier and make the objects real.

I see what you’re talking about. I think retopo uses the Z-buffer so it probably won’t be perfect placed at the surface, but the closer you zoom in the more accurate it seems to get.

You can also instance the objects on the particle system the other way around, using a Particle Instance modifier on the object you want to duplicate. Then it’s just a matter of pressing ‘apply’ to apply the modifier and make the objects real.

thanks, will try that

I see what you’re talking about. I think retopo uses the Z-buffer so it probably won’t be perfect placed at the surface, but the closer you zoom in the more accurate it seems to get.

I think, that problem could be in my ubuntu and ¨old ATI radeon 9600¨ combination…

Blender does not have something like Paint effects in Maya?
That would be sweet !

here is free script I use in 3ds max, maybe it can maybe help someone who has python-scripting ability and is interested to write something similar for blender…

Hello, just wanna close this thread with the solution you showed me in different forum …
thx to craeigo and to all for your help;)

You can, though working out the settings is really the trick. Set up your object target as an hair emitter, then name your random object in the Visualization panel under “Object”. Move your particle object to an invisible layer, and remember it needs to share the same center as your target object.

You’ll need to set your particles to total '1" instead of the default 1000, set up random variations under the particle panels, and then set editable. Then with the ‘N’ key in the particle mode window/3d view, select ‘add’ and start painting the object. I can’t post a blend here, but I hope that this helps you get where you want to be. Cool thing is you can comb and poof up the particles, grow them, etc.

salud,
craeigo