Object edge rendering?

hi,
how can i get the edges of an object rendered as black lines. i tried with freestyle, but i dont get all edges rendered. if i enable “crease” i also get the triangled lines that i dont want
…maybe its to solve over an edge material shader…

any idea?

thanks for help!

thomes

In the Freestyle Line Set options you need to check Contour option in the Edge Types settings.

Final result:

1 Like

To change freestyle line color check Color tab under Freestyle Line Style settings:

Also - select edges, Right click > Mark Freestyle edge.

1 Like

contour does not work for me, :roll_eyes:

works fine in 3.6.0 in my case

freestyle.blend (879.1 KB)

the ui of my 3.6.0 looks totally different :joy:

i will look into this later…thanks

Freestyle is deprecated and should not be used anymore. Use grease pencil line art instead.

2 Likes

Crease should work. You maybe set the crease angle too high ( try something just over 90 )

Its located in the property editor → viewlayer → edge detection

1 Like

hi,

anyone knows if its possible in the grease stroke outline not to render transparent (alpha=0) objects´s outline ?

thanks for help!

thomes

Assign your grease pencil strokes by collection, then put objects you do not wish to be affected in another collection.

An alternative strategy is to make use of collections and view layers.

thanks for feedback, but i want the edges to render when object its visible and not when its transparent. hmmm…would be supercool if the edges also fade in/out

I believe this is the sort of thing you would have to approach in post… (I haven’t specifically tried this, based on other work I’ve done with grease pencil.)

Keep in mind that grease pencil is a post effect, based on geometrical edges and related data. You can’t just manipulate it like a standard material. For example, it might involve setting up drivers based on various factors… Which again, I’m just taking a rough guess at how I would think about approaching it if I had to.

I do understand what you’re doing for, but things like this can require a very specific production approach. Sometimes it’s messy, and sometimes it can get a bit tricky.

1 Like

Yes, your quite right, it’s post, and so it should be programmed that it takes the transparency in account.
As I see, there is no possibility to get this over to post. I think I have to animate the objects that they appear and dissappear at frametime… I see no other possibility here.
I hope they implement a tick box for this alpha thing .

Thanks again for your time and help!

Thomes

That would be nice, yes. So far I haven’t seen anything that does this. Grease pencil doesn’t do it, and Psoft pencil doesn’t do it either.

1 Like

as i can animate the thickness down to zero, i can organize everything and animate all the objects separate that get transparent. bit of work, but it works

1 Like