Object Movement through Clouds displacement /part of cloud floats / rippling away

I have a scene where a hot air balloon goes through a fairly thin layer on cloud. Right now the balloon looks like It just squeezes through the cloud, the cloud doesn’t move. Does anyone now how I can I can make a volumetric cloud displace or ripple away when a object passes through it. I tried a dynamic paint approach like how you would use it for water ripples but it didn’t work, probably because it’s volumetric. If anyone has a solution to this let me know. There isn’t a video or forum out there I could find. thanks!!

Make a fog and do it :thinking:

Kinda like this but imagine the skull isn’t a cloud it’s self but an object that does through the smoke in my case clouds but while it goes through it moves the smoke/clouds, you see the clouds displace and move when an object flies through them not just stay the same

I can’t upload video but hopefully you get the idea. It’s just does through the cloud does move apart.

Hello and welcome to the mind numbing world of fluid/gaseous sims. Kindly move over to the next isle which is the Houdini isle. It’s a slow moving isle so expect to get to where you need to be in about one year or so. You will want to purchase an extra monitor or two since you might not contain the urge to toss it out of the window in frustration as you learn new fun terms like divergence, curl, dissipation, turbulence, viscosity, disturbance, advection, shredding, confinement, and many more!

1 Like