Ocarina players here?

Since putting computer graphics to the side a few years ago, I’ve started actively playing the ocarina, a wind instrument from 19th century Italy with a very characteristic haunting sound. These are some thing’s I’ve recorded recently:

Mirie it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3tqJcaoFuw
Itsumo nando (spirited away): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4bd54dwdg

Is there anyone else hiding out here that plays the ocarina?

bought one years ago, heavily influenced by the Zelda game! wasn’t too bad at it i thought, but i guess my housemates thought different as it mysteriously disappeared one day!

Cool, sorry you lost your ocarina - the zelda replicas arn’t the best for playing. Many people have found the instrument through the game, but I was the opposite - it doesn’t do much for me personally.

What do you think of my playing?

at the Mari Lwyd festival? it sounded really cool, you should do some more.
the ocarina i had wasnt a zelda replica, it was real, i was just inspired by the game as i’d never heard of them before then discovered the game was based around a real instrument, so obviously had to try one out :slight_smile:

The ocarina being famous for being the oldest known woodwind instument from around 12.000 years ago in central america?
7000 years ago in asia? The “Xun” from China, or the “Tsuchibue” from Japan?

I had an ocarina years ago, but moved on, now got a Shinobue and a Shakuhachi. But more for fun than serious peforming. Especially the Shakuhachi in D being known as “Zen-Instrument” :wink:

And it’s obvious for the Tsuchibue, as bue is “flute” and tsuchi is “earth, soil” :smiley:
I don’t know though what “xun” is.

But yeh, after some lunatic hijacked some Aztecs and they performed in front of some King, the “Ocarina” became known in Europe and the italian Dude gave it that sweet-potato shape and made it popular in Europe.

Although vessel flutes have been around for tens of thousands of years, both the modern fingering system and the word ‘ocarina’ itself where created by Giuseppe Donati in the 19th century. At the time the only ‘ocarinas’ available where simple toy whistles incapable of playing actual music. It isn’t really appropriate to call anything before this an ‘ocarina’ as the word did not exist.

Personally I consider ‘ocarina’ to refer only to instruments of the original 10 hole linear fingering and variations thereof. Other instruments/novelty items operating on the same physical bases I consider vessel flutes. Reason being that the fingering systems are completely different to the point that anything learned on one must be re-learned from scratch on other variants.

As the physics are so simple and lend themselves to unintentional discovery, vessel flutes where probably independently discovered by multiple cultures.

@Small Troll I’m a member of The Widders, a local morris side, this kind of thing is a pretty regular occurrence, and a lot of fun.

wow I am listening about this instrument for the first time. Cool I have seen it and searched it on the net and it is like nice and good. The price of this instrument is high here in my area. It is like about 75 Dollars :(. Else I would have also brought it and gave it a try too. :slight_smile:

Nice one

Nice thread! I bought few years ago an ocarina as I am a Zelda fun.
I tried to learn some songs from ocarina of time soundtrack, but my friends and neighbors couldn’t
stand to hear me trying to learn haha.

Sounds like Tingle stole it.

I will have some soprano F and G ocarinas available in a month or two for £30 and last I checked shipping to the EU is around £7. http://pureocarinas.com

Nice thread! I bought few years ago an ocarina as I am a Zelda fun.
I tried to learn some songs from ocarina of time soundtrack, but my friends and neighbors couldn’t
stand to hear me trying to learn haha.

Nice, new musicians aren’t the most calming thing to listen to… When I started playing I would walk several miles to a large field to practice :slight_smile:

Can’t say I have played it, or listened, or even heard of it. But it seems a nice thing.

I will have some soprano F and G ocarinas available in a month or two for £30 and last I checked shipping to the EU is around £7. http://pureocarinas.com

That would be great to buy , but I think that I have to first gave some more time for blender, so that I can improve my work too. But thanks for the help , If I need one in future I will for sure contact you. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advanced.