Ocean modifier and Spray layer

Hello everyone,

For a while now, in the ocean modifier you find the Spray data layer. The documentation says that this generates a vector map that can be used to define the velocity of the spray particles.
ocean

But I can not find anything online to help me realize this in a good way. I only found some options with Geometry Nodes, that I have tried to implement:

In motion it looks like this:

So that is not really impressive looking and I want to ask for help if anyone has a better solution or idea how to use this spray data layer?
Thanks!

One thing I notice on the Ocean Modifier help page is the name in the example “FOAM” is all upper case. I don’t now if attribute data in Blender is case sensitive, but perhaps give that a try. FOAM and SPRAY.
Even though this data is stored as a color field, It’s actually vector data. Using a color ramp might not be the best way to modify the value. Try using a vector Map Range instead. Or eliminate the color ramps to conduct a test.

You need to set up additional simulation using the data provided as inputs.
I’m not sure what the ocean modifier is supposed to provide, my attempts to treat the foam layer attribute as vector failed. However you could use normals and the foam layer as a float attribute to improvise something (no realistic physics and stuff, no particle or water surface interaction, just something to send some particles on their way):

geonodes_ocean_foamlayer.blend (1.3 MB)

If the modifier actually stores computed velocities somewhere, that would of course be the way to go …

1 Like

@Atom Thank you. Vector data is not really my sweet spot so thank you for helping me understand the a color ramp is not ideal!

@Helmut_S Wow that is incredible! Thank you so much for your effort and also including the .blend file, that helps a lot understanding what is possible and how you achieved this!