Ocean

Just a quick test ocean; I used a heightmap for the displacement, then worked with the materials a bit.

Attachments

Hi SSimpossible

Looks great! I especially like the water crests.
I am also working on ocean effects. Could you possibly link the blend file, please? I would really like to see your work, and see what I could learn from it for my tests.

Thanks,

blender_p_user

Looks pretty good, although to get it more realistic you need a bit more of a horizon blur… to get a sense of depth.

@ blender_p_user, I’ll actually be releasing a tutorial on this within the next couple of days; but if you still want the .blend file, I’ll try to upload it somewhere and post a link to it.

@ JayDez, Actually the part that appears to be meeting the horizon is a wave; so a horizon blur wouldn’t quite fit in that case.

Wow i love ocean! i must say that the government must make a move or law to protect our sea.The marine under the ocean must preserver and must have the protection by the people who making destruction.This is the great gift by God that and we are so lucky to have this.

Lucky? Well… yes. But we would still have it in prestine condition if we didn’t dump ligitimate garbage, pollutants, and toxins into it, and over fish, remove silica from the oceans, make the ocean pH rise like .3 and add C02 to the enviornment which too much is bad for coral reeves. Yes, thanks to humans, the world is a worst, more miserable place. BTW… Good ocean.

Thanks SSimpossible. I am really looking forward to seeing your tutorial.

P.S. Will it be a video tutorial? I know that some people like video tutorials, but I like text tutorials because I have a slow internet connection.

Hi guys, the best way to generate the height map for the ocean displacement is by using the Ocean Sim Texture patch for 2.49 which generates the proper noise texture using an FFT algorithm. Much more accurate than using simple cloud textures (or any of the other builtin textures in blender).

You can see a fresh example here by Kai Kostack. You can also voice your opinion here on the topic of porting the Ocean Sim to 2.5. Sorry for hijacking your thread SSimpossible! Cheers, Todd.

+1 for horizon although it’s often clear at sea because of the precipitation (lots of rain). Instead of post blur at object edge you could use a z depth pass to mask blur. this would go out to a further horizon than the wave breaking nearby.

I think that the surface ripples are often much sharper and breaking a little into white at times.