OctaneRender™ Blender 4.0 plugin version 2023.1.2 - 28.13 [STABLE] released

We are happy to share a new release of Octane.

Octane 2020.1.4 is our latest maintenance update and the version currently recommended for production use.

Make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 435.80 for Windows or 435.12 for Linux to enable support for RTX hardware acceleration. There are no OSX drivers that currently support RTX.

Should you find any issues with this release please report using this thread so we can make sure we provide you with the best feedback.

Changes since OctaneRender 2020.1.3:

Bugfixes:

• Fixed issue causing Octane to not to start on machines using older CPUs without AVX instruction set support.
  • Fixed issue causing OSX slaves to deactivate their license even if there are other instances of standalone or plugins currently running on that machine.
  • Fixed triplanar projection in OSL when used as emission texture distribution.
  • Fixed issue causing displacement nodes not working with layered material nodes.
  • Fixed white balance picking when upsampling was enabled.
  • Fixed a crash on Windows 7 when upsampling was enabled.
  • Fixed documentation and typos of a few dirt texture node pins.
  • Fixed batch render script causing erroneous results with scenes using universal camera, geometric primitives, vectron union and volumetric spotlight nodes.
  • Fixed issue causing hair primitives and geometry using texture displacement to temporarily disappear after scene some scene changes.

Other changes:

• Geometric primitives material defaults to the default diffuse material.

Under investigation:

• Auto-bump disappears in some cases using a mix of RTX and non-RTX GPUs with RTX on.
  • Octane fails to start in some machines with old dual Xeon CPU setups.
  • CUDA error in some scenarios when using NVlink due to mismatching barriers.
4 Likes

Hello guys. I’ve downloaded 1.3 and server also. I checked doc on how to install from otoy wiki. I installed both. I run first server before run octane but it has been shown octane.dll. any help?

1 Like

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, Linux and OSX versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Enterprise License Holders.

OctaneRender Studio subscribers can access their software from the “Downloads” section of their Customer Account Page.

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Upgraded to Octane 2020.1.4

• Upgraded to Blender 2.83.3

• Supported to export Deep EXR in the Octane Export Panel

• Supported to use Blender Volume Object in Octane

• Please use Blender Volume for OpenVDB from now on

• The old way to use OpenVDB(Mesh data panel - Octane properties - Volume properties) will be hidden if it’s not used in the files

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Add a “Maximize Instancing” feature(Octane Server - Maximize Instancing). When enabled, Octane will try to scatter instances as much as possible
3 Likes

Hi Odilkhan, not sure what your error is, can you post the complete error message? Also what system are you using?

One question… ( maybe stupid ). Do I need to unistall old version of Octane Server, or new installation will upgrade old version?

Hi Alek,

I’m not sure about Windows and OSX, but on Linux I just install over the old version and I haven’t had any issues. If you are not sure, you can always delete the old version and then install the new. I’m pretty sure that the Windows version comes with an installer which would do that for you?

Jason

1 Like

I’ve included Octane in an overview of free renderers for Blender Nation.

3 Likes

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Upgraded to Blender 2.83.5

• Enhanced Orbx Preview feature

• Added “External Alembic” Orbx Preview Type to support animated Orbx preview

• Fixed Orbx Preview issue when dealing with relative file paths

• Fixed some other issues in the Orbx Preview

• Enabled Cycles OptiX support

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Fixed hair motion blur when rendering the object with varied hair number
  • Fixed the rendering issue when using the linked collections with the same name
  • Fixed octane sphere primitive attributes issue when dealing with alembic sequence
  • Disabled the “Prefer tonemap” option during rendering(it cannot be changed after render setup)
  • Fixed the painted texture update issue
  • Fixed the reroute node issue
  • Fixed the typos in the Specular Material
5 Likes

Any plans to update to 2.90, now that it’s official? I love Octane, but I do all my work on the latest nightlies, so it’s a bit of a pain having to go back to 2.83 just to render.

1 Like

They are usually pretty quick to get the latest version supported. Shouldn’t be more than a week or two from my experience.

1 Like

Hi

I plan to buy the new graphics card. 2x RTX 3090 is it worth buying? Ratio of price to RTX cores speed

specially for octane

What happen to Brigade? it was suppose to be release in a alpha/beta version this Summer…summer is almost over.

Good question, I haven’t seen any more information about it lately. :frowning: Maybe they are waiting to announce at GTC?

1 Like

Everything I have heard about the 3090s is that they will be absolute beasts. Two of them would give you >20,000 CUDA cores and 48 Gbytes of vram using NV-link. Better make sure you have a beefy power supply at 350W each.

1 Like

I’ll get one 3090 maybe second one months later. I have a 850 Watt PSU, should be enough power to run both. I think Octane the paid version can use at least 2 GPU and Brigade can scale up to 4 GPU. Would love to see Brigade run on the 3090.

Aree there Octane bench scores for the new Ampere cards? I would like to know as precisely as possible how much more a new Nvidia 3000 series card will perform compared to my tiny 2080s, before investing on a new card.

Hi, Otoy cant share results until the cards are public but looks promising.
I guess you need a forum account to read:

Cheers, mib

2 Likes

When will the free tier be updated grimm? I keep checking. I would subscribe but pointless considering i have v4 and 2 plugins and im only using 1 gpu.

If you can saturate them with enough work to do, then sure, they’re worth it. On the other hand, if they’re just going to idle around in your computer until you hit that render button once in a while, then no, they’re definitely not worth it.

2 Likes

Hey, do you look at this page?

https://render.otoy.com/shop/prime.php

It will keep you up to date on the latest version of prime for Blender. Right now it’s at 2020.1.4 - 21.12 and the latest studio version is at 2020.1.4 - 21.13, so not too far off.