OctaneRender™ Blender 4.0 plugin version 2023.1.2 - 28.13 [STABLE] released

I am sorry if I missed this in the long thread. This version of Octane is free for Blender?
No extra installs (licencing stand alones…or anything?)
Is this for 2.79 or 2.8?
Thanks.

they say that it will be like the octane plugin for unity, free of charge octane 2019.
and some devs says that it will be limited to 2gpu, ect…

i really dont see why they decide to make octane free for blender specifically, what kind of marketing technique is this ?

maybe in return for mining their RNDR crypto

otoy is such a strange company…i feel like they lack of a clear direction on where they are heading… some weird RNDR crypto cloud system ? ray tracing for mobile ? Orbx cloud streaming ? X IO cloud streaming ? Brigade ? lightfield holographic ? Lightstage capture motion ?

what the heck is all this

1 Like

Thanks. Hopefully it will be really released. What I do not understand is why they cannot say officially when will be the exact release date and why don’t they answer these questions…

Because Blender itself is free https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69646

Jules Urbach is the CEO of Otoy

1 Like

Wonderful news! I just hope they won’t wait for a release of 2.8 :sweat_smile:

what’s the catch of this free version? 50% less faster ? limited to 2k renders ?

Limited to 2 GPUs. Maybe even a single one, since they wasn’t sure if two titans with 24 gbs of vram were limited enough 2537d0d3affff2846906b533676b74e3

at first Jules announced a limitation of 2 GPU, then when they started doing benchmark with the new 4.0 version he realized that it might be too much, he didnt make an official announcement yet i guess we’ll know when it gets out

Initially there was an free Octane version teased for all DCCs. But then they decided against it and only Blender and Unity is left of the free versions. I guess it has something to do with tapping into these opensource communities and provide a barrier free entry.
Its the best kind of marketing technique if you ask me as an end user because ts the only way they get me interested in their product.

yeah they decided to provide a free version limited to 2 gpu to free soft like blender & unity & unreal

1 Like

Unreal too? That would be nice, i don’t use Unity but I do use Unreal.

1 Like

Just curious, is there any news about the free version? It’s almost end of April.

1 Like

From the OTOY forum: seems they have a working version but with missing some important features. Since the developers are working on updates for 2.7 for versions 4.04 and 2018.2 they have a big workload so it will take some time before the first beta of V2018 for 2.8. Should be available before the official release. I guess then they will announce the status of the free version.

So the actual release date is Q2 or Q3. Maybe that’s why OTOY says nothing about it.

maybe they’ll wait for the actual 2.80 release

From Lino Grandi of Otoy, on an Octane Blender thread, in regards to Octane Blender 2.8:

"I’ve been testing the very first Octane for Blender 2.8 implementation and really looks great. There are some important features still missing (not implemented yet) and issues to be fixed, but I can already say it will be an awesome improvement over the already very good 2.79 implementation, especially thanks to the new Blender 2.8 API.

Of course is still far from being usable in production, so it will take some more time before the first beta is released to users. What I can say for sure, is this will happen before Blender 2.8 is officially released. Blender 2.8 should be officially released by July, so Octane 2018 for Blender should definitely be available to users before that date.

And when Blender 2.8 will be officially released, we’ll need some time to adapt that final build (and any stable following build) so it can work with Octane the best way.

Please consider that developers are working on the 2.8 integration while keeping Octane for Blender 2.79 V4 and 2018 constantly updated (both 2.79 with Octane V4.04 and V2018.2 will be available soon), and that’s quite a big workload.

While we’re very excited to be working on the 2.8 Octane implementation, keeping the current and different 2.79 versions updated and constantly improve those is very important."

4 Likes

i heard it will not be a standalone version of blender but an add-on that can work with master, any clue if this is fake or confirmed ? need to wait ?