Odd red and black "flickering" in BLender UI

I also had to add blender to the application list in for NVidia card and disable AA completely. Not only red black issue but also selection was weird.

Hi,

i got the same problem too.
Now I just checked my NVidia Card settings to your recommended settings, but it didn’t work vor my Laptop:( (Asus, i5, Win7 - 64Bit, 4GB RAM, NVidia GT325M - using Blender-2.49-Win64).

But then i went again into the Graphiccard settings again and made following
settings:

"3D-settings-management-> Program Settings->

1. add Blender.exe to program list
  2. use NVidia Highperformance Processor
  3. Anti-Aliasing Settings -> select: application dependend"

And all of a sudden the issue was gone.

But all please note, this solution referrs to NVidia Graphiccards.

Hope it works for many of you too:)

I gotta be the odd man out here. I had this “red ghosts” glitch with an nvidia card under WinXP when I enabled AA on the card – makes for better-looking playblasts, for one thing. But it was never more than a momentary thing, never had any affect on any functionality so I ignored it.

Having now switched to Vista with an old ATI card w/legacy Catalyst drivers installed, even with card AA enabled, no glitch at all, in fact Blender is running smoother and faster than I could have believed,* just screams for me both in the UI and when rendering. So much faster n the UI that I actually have to relearn some of my editing technique, I’m over-correcting for my former machine’s slowness.

Point is, I think this glitch is extremely machine-specific, and as such, probably has little to do with Blender’s guts.

*EDIT: Except for sculpting, much to my chagrin. Big probs in Sculpt mode with the ATI card, remedied to some degree but not 100% satisfactory.

FWIW in my experience the quickest way to cause this glitch with nVidia cards is to play a DX-8 game. Something funky happens when you shut down (assuming you are running DX-9 or DX-10).