Ogbog's atlas of human anatomy

Back in 2020 I started cleaning up the Bodyparts3D dataset into a usable format as a cure for pandemic blues, trying to help society and whatnot, and threw it up on Blendswap. You might also be familiar with the dataset from Z-anatomy, another group’s remix of the dataset. They talked about it in 2022 at the Blender Conference, but unfortunately the website’s down these days.

But anyhoo, there’s still a lot to do! The dataset, while super cool, was mostly unusable. The polygons were a mess, the CT scan pose was a rigging nightmare, and a lot of this is anatomy that can be mirrored left to right. I’m back to cleaning it up, with the hope of having everything be in ideal pipeline format. Also, by remodeling all the meshes to have good topology, this can be released as a CC-Zero license in the next iteration. I’m also adding a number of quality of life changes, such as mirroring geometry, curves for all the veins (thus accessible via geometry nodes), and hopefully doing a giant geometry nodes final UI for everything. Also, Blendswap seems to have a lot of problems these days, so it probably isn’t a good long-term landing spot.

For instance, making the intestine into a single curve. Theoretically you could have a poo poo go along there with geometry nodes!

Here’s examples of the new and improved topology

I’m having the new version conform to Manuel Bastioni Lab. Their default OOTB male most closely conforms to statistically “normal” anatomy. But also, theoretically, I’d like to have all these policed by a cage or something so that you can generate a human of any shape size or gender, and get this dataset to “pop in” and match that. In contrast, the default metarig for Rigify currently conforms to Sintel, who’s got cartoony unrealistic proportions.

To do list:

• Tweak muscles to better fit MB’s cage (see muscles poking out)
  • Manually clean organ touching from inside to outside, ecorche style. In moving these to match the preferred MB Lab A-pose, a number of them got ugly or squished
  • Scripted group cleanup. Getting these in place means a ton of wasted data on every mesh, with a v-group for a temporary rigify rig while moving the arms in particular
  • Female anatomy version
  • Batch and manually rename as much of this as I can, a la what Z-anatomy did
  • Clean up vein curves. Bigger radii for arteries, etc
  • Nerves? Nervous system? Also with curves and GN parametric control?
  • Review it with actual medical experts

Thanks for lookin’, just trying to get this on the internet where I can be held accountable for updates more :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Great work. The guy behind z-anatomy has been asking around for help for a while, it would make sense to join forces (he worked full time on z-anatomy for over a year I think).

1 Like

Looking really impressive so far!

1 Like