Oki's Sketch Book...

Figured I’d start a Sketch book to keep me motivated with my drawing and painting. My anatomy knowledge is really ropey so I’m going to focus on that for a while…

Spent an hour studying some skulls…

Wow that looks really good, the form and shading is brilliant. I look forward to your future work, for both interest and inspiration :D.

Today it’s hands…I have real trouble with thumbs, I can never get my head around them :rolleyes:

i don’t see a problem with your thumbs from a constructional point of view… bear in mind that the body isn’t perfect, even when in a fully relaxed position. when you’re tense or contorted, things can look very unnatural… so great work!

I’m jealous, those hands look amazing. I really need to practice my drawing skills, I’m pretty decent, but not nearly as good as I want to be. For the thumbs, the one on the left looks perfect, the one on the right looks a little too long and skinny.

The one on the left took about 5 attempts on the thumb, compared to the first try on the fingers, that’s what I don’t like about them, hehe. I think you’re right about the one on the right, the thumb does look a little long, I think the muscle needs to be a little more stretched to make it look like it’s being pushed forward.

it does look slightly long but, that’s the things about the human body… it doesn’t abide by perfect proportions. if you always draw by the ideal, your art isn’t going to progress… to me, the hand on the right looks like that of a slender slightly ageing woman…

The hands look really good, I agree that the left one looks almost perfect.

I was wondering that for your next sketch you do, if you could post some of the early stages of drawing. It would be interesting to see how you go about making your drawings :).

Cheers Jon Dawe,

Lips today, I think I’ll do some more though. I’ll try and remember to save the stages for you on the next one too.