Old Midland Railway Low Sided Wagon

As part of my Victorian railway station WIP project (still unfinished but abandoned for a bit) I decided I needed some rolling stock in the image somewhere - but as I have limited skills I thought it better to start small and build up. Hence my attempt at a period appropriate cargo/freight wagon. Learned a lot from this - particularly on how to waste large numbers of polygons on things that you can hardly see (nuts and bolts, for example) but also some improvements in my skill set… though much more needed to go from this to a locomotive!

Obviously not perfect and I’ll probably spend some time tweaking all the things I can now see (especially the materials and a few sharp edges that need rounding down) but I think its OK for what will probably be a tiny, obscured prop in my wider image.

11 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

This is a great model. I suspect you already have seen this, but there is a very useful set of RCH wagon drawings available online: RCH Drawings.

1 Like

Thanks. Appreciate that coming from you. I didn’t know about that website, so thanks - will be really helpful. I got the drawings for this from here: Midland Railway Society. Don’t know if you’ve seen these before?

Thanks again :+1:

Wow! Amazing work!:fire::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you. That’s very kind of you to say.

Something that occurred to me that would push these renders even further to realism would be to raise the level of the ballast. The sleepers (ties) tend to be more ‘in’ the ballast than ‘on’ the ballast.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - appreciate the advice :+1:

1 Like

A couple of tweaks. Now I think I’m done. Next step to incorporate it into the station scene.