OMNITH - (Gauntlet of Gods Challenge)

OMNITH - (Gauntlet of Gods Challenge)

This was my first Pwnisher challenge, created for the Gauntlet of Gods. Artists were given different ability categories to choose from, and my category was Teleport, which was suggested by my brother.

Because the challenge had a one-month deadline, I originally wanted to create something simple enough to complete on time. While developing the idea, I discovered Blender’s Ray Portal BSDF shader, which I had never used before.

That led me to one question: What if the character itself was a portal?
From that idea, Omnith was created.

Character Concept:
Instead of creating a character who simply travels between portals, I wanted Omnith’s body to contain portals connected to different dimensions. I started with a humanoid model and created circular portal openings directly into the body using loop cuts and mesh modeling. As I developed the character, the idea grew from a few portals into a larger network covering the head, stomach, shoulders, torso, arms, and other areas.

Since creating every portal with the Ray Portal shader would take too much time, I focused the main Ray Portal setup on the head and stomach, while using video textures for the other portals.

Portal & Shader Experiments:
The Ray Portal BSDF was completely new to me, so I spent a lot of time testing how it worked. My first attempts didn’t produce the result I wanted, so I simplified the setup and focused on the most important portals.

For the remaining portals, I experimented with video textures and different node setups. I eventually discovered that using the Texture Coordinate node’s Window output allowed the video textures to display correctly across the portal surfaces. I also experimented with Omnith’s body material.

My original idea was a simple black body, but it felt too plain. Instead of adding a cape or extra clothing, I experimented with Geometry data and the Incoming output. This created a color-changing effect that reacted to the viewing angle. I combined this with Voronoi, Noise, and procedural shading to create Omnith’s final appearance.

Dimensions & Animation:
My original animation idea was to move the camera toward Omnith and enter one of his portals. The stomach portal would represent the first dimension, while the head portal would lead into a second dimension. However, the Pwnisher challenge had specific camera requirements, so I couldn’t use the full camera movement in the official submission.

I therefore created two approaches: Challenge version - following the required rules and camera.
Extended version - exploring more of Omnith’s dimensional concept beyond the challenge shot.
For the environments, I created a snowy mountain dimension and a desert dimension. I also used the Botaniq add-on to speed up environment creation and placement.

Rendering & Compositing:
After completing the character, portals, materials, environments, and animation, I started the final rendering process. The render took around three days to complete. I worked on the initial composition in Blender and then moved into DaVinci Resolve, which was also my first time using the software. I experimented with color correction, effects, color adjustments, and overall balancing to complete the final presentation.

Final Result:
Omnith started with a simple challenge idea: What if the character itself was a portal?
The concept gradually developed into a dimensional character with multiple portals connecting different worlds.

Through this project, I explored character modeling, Ray Portal BSDF, video textures, procedural shaders, Geometry-based materials, environment creation, rendering, compositing, and DaVinci Resolve.

The final result may not be perfect, but this project allowed me to create something I imagined while learning techniques I had never used before.

Omnith isn’t finished here. This is only where his story begins.

https://youtu.be/k_YU2KeaJ3w

https://youtu.be/0sPxqyKbRS8

Check out the full project here -

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ayoJKz

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!