On horizontal-only node networks

Perhaps we must make it a formal request, to revamp groups into a more proper UI paradigm.

From what I remember the easiest way was to implement grouping to frames and back. But to do that frames must retain all grouping information like sockets, naming etc.
Also when ungrouping into frames should take into account the order and placement so there is as little of overlap of nodes as possible. But this might be tricky to do.

There were discussions (and even proofs of concept) of invisible/hidden links at some point, a bit like Nuke has. I forget the name. I think it’s likely to get in at some point. There needs to be a bit of an interface/UX push to polish all those aspects

Hidden links were possible in Blender 2.80. It was just a matter of hiding the socket where the link was starting. The link would still be there and seen by the engine, but the Editor wouldn’t draw it… I still have a Portal node using this hack.

But in 3.x this changed, and the ‘hide’ value of a socket is now ignored if it has a link. :frowning: