On rendering, I'm getting large points of light flashing in and out of existence at random

Anyone know what those lights are and how to get rid of them?
I have no particle systems in this project.

On closer inspection, I can see that the flashes are originating from the glowing blue emissive gridlines on the floor.

That material had both emission and some reflectivity (medium roughness). I’ll try again with the roughness on that material set to zero. Maybe it’s the emission and the reflectivity creating feedback loops or something?

Edit:

When I turn off the glow in the compositor, I can see these random white specks appearing on the blue grid lines. These are the culprits. They manifest in different places at random each time I render the frame.

Those gridlines aren’t an image texture BTW. I just subdivided the floor plane into a grid, beveled the lines and gave the grid lines their own material.

When a reflective material makes bright pixels like this, it often means it’s reflecting some small, sharp highlight that’s present somewhere else in the scene.

Maybe the lines are reflecting the mountains in the background. If the mountains have a low roughness material, there could be some really rare light paths that cause bright reflections (a feedback loop between materials, like you say).

Is there a light source with a small radius somewhere in the scene? Those can generate sparse bright pixels like this.

I would think using a high roughness for the emissive material is more likely to solve it. High roughness will spread out the reflection and pretty much erase it.

1 Like