One piece going merry animation

A short animation for going merry ship from one piece.

Flip fluids for water simulation
K-cycles for rendering
Substance painter was also partially used for texturing

(edit)
Resolution: 1080x1920p
Number of frames: 447
Rendered in: ~22 hours
Simulation baking: ~13 hours (180 frames)

Laptop: Acer predator Helios 300
CPU: i7-9750H
GPU: GTX 1660 ti
Ram: 16GB

24 Likes

Never seen the show, but cool!

1 Like

Thanks @Abigblueworld , I’m glad you like it

This looks great! I too had to look up who the “Straw Hat Pirates” are, but you’ve done a great job! :smiley:

As constructive feedback (not having seen the original show), this could benefit from more ship-motion. Specifically: rocking. When the ocean’s main wave-vector is traveling perpendicular to the ship’s heading, most of the ship rocking will be side to side. When waves are parallel to ship’s heading, then the ship will mostly rock from front to back. Between these 2 extremes, the rocking will be a combination of these 2 rocking axes; or equivalently, the rocking will be on the vector of the waves’ direction of travel.

If the wave-length of the water-waves is comparable to the dimensions of the ship, then another way to think about this is to keep the vertical-axis of the ship (through its center of mass) parallel to the instantaneous surface-normal of the water-wave-object. All while bobbing up and down to keep the ship’s buoyancy level even with the local height of the waves.

Little boats will react near instantaneously. More massive ships will lag slightly in their dynamics (because intertia). Use this “slight delay” judiciously to imply how much this ship weighs.

Again, I haven’t seen the show. If you have faithfully recreated how they depict the ship moving, then just “Bravo!”

Thank you for sharing this! I hope you will post more! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello @shannonz, thank you for your kind words, and also, you should definitely watch One Piece (preferably the anime if you’re into anime).

I love the detailed explanation and I’ll definitely keep that in mind if I come across oceans and ships again!

I honestly did not go too much in depth into the rocking of the ship, it’s co-relation with the ocean, buoyancy, etc…

I was more focused on the fluid simulation since it was kind of my first time doing a water simulation and it took me a while to figure it out, and when i finally did figure it out and i baked the simulation (which took over 12 hours) i noticed that i had not added rocking animation (noise) to the ship xD, so i just added a little bit to make it more realistic but not too much that the ship would clip with the simulation (since i didn’t want to re-bake the simulation), all in all it was a good learning experience, and your feedback is highly appreciated!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you @bartv :pray:t2:

1 Like