Only a master of evil, kind of

Hi there,

this is my first post on Blenderartists, but I am visiting regularly since I started using Blender some years ago.
The initial idea for this image came to me when I wanted to participate in a Weekend Challenge here on BA with the theme “Neon”. I didn’t even come close to finishing the piece, and it laid dormant on my hard drive for almost one and a half years :sweat_smile:
But, better late than never, I finally found some time to finish it.

The hard surface parts were modeled in Blender, the cloth and shards were simulated in Houdini. For the background I ported the “Imperial Corridor” from the Videocopilot Star Wars model pack to Blender.

Rendered with Cycles, 2000 samples + denoise, post in Photoshop.

I’d consider myself more of a technical artist, so I don’t make pieces like this often. Even though I am finished with this one, if you had any feedback I would really appreciate it.

61 Likes

This Is a good idea! Lighting and shading is on point too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Calzaath :slight_smile:

Gorgeous funny image, congratulations, i especially like the broken lightsaber and the pieces on the floor.

1 Like

Thank you @Horizon1, appreciated :slight_smile:

Concept design and proportions are really well balanced!
Shading and lighting is flawless.
Overall concept - comic.

Killed it!
First post non-the-less.:+1:
Top row material.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, enjoy!

Thank you Bart, that’s really cool :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad you liked it :slight_smile:

You’re #featured!

1 Like

Flippin’ awesome! Love it!

1 Like

Hahahhaha, this is great! Well done!

1 Like

Nice touch making the sabers look like fluorescent tubes. I almost didn’t notice it on the other light saber.

1 Like

Sweet scene… but i wonder why you used Houdini for such an easy cloth simultation. It doesnt look that detailed. Blender can get the same outcome now

1 Like

Though i do see some edge flow irregularity :slight_smile:

love the broken sword and his poker face:))

1 Like

nice work !!!

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: I agree, Blenders new cloth tools look really great, and I’m sure they could produce the same result. I’m just very familiar with Houdini and it allowed me to quickly iterate over different sewing patterns while procedurally generating consistent topologies for the simulation.
I really like the combination of Blender and Houdini, I think they complement each other quite well.

2 Likes

Awesome!!!

1 Like

I understand, if one think is more familiar why use something else.

1 Like