Only smoothing some faces although I select all

I extruded a cylinder to the top. Then I selected side faces everywhere. I wanted to smooth everything. but although i select all side faces, only the extruded portion’s side faces are smoothened. Not the side faces of original cylinder. how can i also smooth those portions

Welcome :tada:

…if you mean smooth shaded and have selected all side faces then i can’t imagine how this could be done…
…or do you mean something different by smoothing (some people mean subdivide)… but again i can’t imagine if any action not be applied to every selected face… (except some deselection…)

You may have to elaborate this to get a more suited answer.

Welcome to the forums.

In Object Mode, right click and select Shade Auto Smooth.
That should work. The side will then be smooth shaded & the top flat shaded.

Also check for double vertices… In edit mode, select all and press M > and select By Distance in the menu that appears. That will remove any doubles. A message will appear at the bottom of the Blender window for a couple of seconds telling you how many (if any) were removed. This is the standard response to many questions without enough information. So it may not be relevant.

Which part? if you extruded all of it that is your problem. You should have selected only the top and extruded that.

thanks for the answers.

I extruded a cylinder to the top = I selected only the top and extruded that.
just like you understood when you wanted to. And no, the solution you provided did not solve it.

Although I believe my post had enough info,let me write again the same thing, just a little longer…

1. i had a cylinder. (the most basic cylinder when you add with shift A)
  2. i extruded towards the top. so it is only longer now that’s all. nothing else changed.
  3. then i selected all side faces of this long cylinder. not the top or bottom faces. just all side faces. for both the original portion and the extruded portion.
  4. then, while these faces were selected, from the face menu above, i selected “shade smooth”.
  5. it made only the extruded portion’s side faces smooth. but the side faces of the original cylinder remained flat as original. why it did not smooth the original cylinder but just the extruded parts of it? This is what I am trying to understand and solve.
    Thanks a lot…

So share the file… Or provide images. You can link to images on imgur, or file and/or images on cloud storage or file transfer site to get around the limitations on new users. Unless we can see the problem then its a glitch in the space/time continuum.

If you do it again do you get the same error?

Well…

…IDK

I tried uploading the file here but it says new users cannot share the files. I don’t know how to share files on other platforms, I will try with my google account and write again

You just have to spend a little time in this forum to be able to do so or do the discobot tutorial … see the FAQ

It’s just a spam-preventin measurement…