Open Blender 4.1 file in Blender 3.6

What is the best way to revert your model to older version.
Actually, i worked on blender 4.0 as it has base snap feature but my addons work on 3.6 version. Now, i want to export my scene to blender 3.6 version. my scene also has some curve objects that i dont want to convert to mesh. please suggest your solution.

3.6 LTS should be able to simply open the file, (earlier versions will not), no need to export-import.

You might find missing data if you have used some new option but it should at least open the mesh materials and lighting etc.

1 Like

Nope, it is unable to open it, just crashed on opening…

1 Like

Maybe there is a problem with some of the files. :thinking:
Blender3.6 allows you to open a higher version of files.
Try it on blender 4.0 as well and if it opens, save it and open it at 3.6.

it actually opens in blender 4.0 without any issue becuase it is created in it. But blender 3.6 just crash while opening. Try your own with it.
Measurement.blend (956.5 KB)

https://developer.blender.org/docs/handbook/guidelines/compatibility_handling_for_blend_files/#forward-compatibility

Critical breakages: Modification of existing feature or data type, leading to major loss of data when opened with older Blender versions, or even crashes or data corruption.

• Refactor ‘in place’, where the internal organization and meaning of the data changes, but the general container / DNA definition (often an ID) remains partially the same. E.g. recently, the refactor of the Mesh data-block. (Note that this case is the most likely to cause crashes or data corruption when opening with an older Blender version).

Perhaps this applies in your case.

It opens well. Blender 3.6.11 (attached file was saved in 3.6)
If the version is low, please update it.

sddf.blend (894.8 KB)

I updated my LTS and now it is working fine, thanks community. So, the idea is LTS updates with each new blender release ?

The LTS version is the version with long-term updates.
Sometimes it’s updated similar to when a new version of blender comes out, but that’s not necessarily the case. Check it out periodically :slightly_smiling_face: