open movie, closed formats?

why was ed realised as avi? why is peach planed to be realised as mov? why not realise open moves using open video formats like oog/theora? personally i have found theora to be much better quality and take up about 1/10 of the space!
and why dusent blender even render to these formats? :spin:

Because functionality is more important than ideology in the real world.

ogg/theora can compress video to 1/10th the size of H264 mov?

The video was encoding using FFmpeg, and that’s open source enough for me.

ogg/theora can compress video to 1/10th the size of H264 mov?

forgot to mention i was comparing it to avi/jpg

open movie, closed formats?

Actually open source movie; how would access to the source of render formats affect access to the source of the movie?

From an “in the spirit of things” viewpoint should the foundation take a stand to accommodate OSS? Should it then take a stand against “closed”, propriety formats, renderers etc? Or just not take any stand at all and accept code from volunteers when it’s submitted and ready?

%<

have to agree with this one ^^^ .avi is just a container, no? :confused: its the codec’s that matter…

edit: and Fligh’s got a point too, ofc.

I think its more important to focus on the movie part of “open source movie” to be honest.

I don’t like MOV files just because the ones I’ve run into and such tend to have sucked, but AVI, well, it’s pretty much a bottle you puts whatever you wants to in.

Also, I swear you used to be able to produce a runnable avi by concatenating JPEG files. …

Have a look at this site www.openworldfilm.com - new members/browsers/critisism always welcome !