Optix AI Denoiser

Yeah I heard the same rumour which was why I thought lets just get something sketched out in form of .diff

But I dont think that’s happened yet, So once complete I will not be distributing builds as would break the license, Ill post the .diff blender.dev.org and people if want to try it will have to build their own versions. Best I can do until the license issue is solved

Also felt this would be relevant here. Here’s the optix denoiser running within Blender to clear up a photo I took. These are promising results. Essentially something like this (hopefully) could be used for separate passes (particularly troublesome noisy passes) previous renders, photos, etc. It actually denoised better than photoshop/lightroom as it preserved detail in his shirt. Granted this photo is a bit out of focus, (I realized later.)

1 Like

Any chance you can speak to the guy for me, Would like to test this version addon against the one i linked above. Cheers J

I will put it out there, do you have a discord account? He’s running the beta discussion within there.

nah never used discourse, just PM me if needed and ill work out how to use discord

1 Like

Grabbed the latest drivers, nvoptix.dll is now included, does the denoiser need any other dlls?

ooooowwwww, things just got interesting. Were have to start looking into this, at the mo I also need optix_denoiser.51.dll, but maybe that’s now included in the optix.dll as before it was called optix.51.dll. Maybe the new nvoptix.dll is combined

cudnn.dll might be needed for training speed increase but not a must, just speeds up training CNN

Do you have contacts at nvidia to query about this?

I compared the entry points between the one in the optix package and the one with the driver, the nvoptix.dll seems almost identical to the optix.51.dll from the sdk.

however it doesn’t seem to have any of the entry points of optix_denoiser.51.dll :frowning: so sadly it doesn’t seem like they merged the two. (also no denoiser dlls in the driver by the looks of it)

I have no contacts at nvidia, not even contacts i can’t share… sorry :smile:

Brecht surly has nvidia contacts, think we should get him to ask sme questions. It would be stupid on nvidia’s side to now add optix directly but not the denoiser. Maybe we can encourage them to do so

1 Like

How could I start using it on Beta? What´s the discord group? Where do I download the files for the denoiser? Thanks.

Fascinating stuff ! Exciting times ahead, less samples = faster render times = more complex renders can be done on a home PC. Just out of interest heres a reupload of the image but after AI supersampling? Basically i ran it through Topaz AI gigapixel and AI upscaled it 400% but then bicubic sharper downsampled it back to its original size… Also the Topaz was set to strong -denoise and blur. You won’t notice the difference unless you scrutinise both images.

2 Likes

we need AI upscaling AI optiz denoizing as node so much !

Freezes for me.

I downloaded OptiX from here
https://github.com/troopy28/OptiX-Denoiser-for-Blender (Google-Drive Link)

I tried it with both 2.79 Builds (Original and Buildbot)

I render an Image and then I press “Denoise render result”.
Frozen…

OptiX save two temp-files but both are not Denoised.

Has anyone good a tip for me?

1 Like

Write down your HW specs & drivers used.
Also, go through thoughts shared on Declan’s site.

There are no binaries for Linux :cry:

Hi burnin,

many thanks for your answer.

I have read the thoughts on Declan Russell Page, but I didn’t find any hint (tip).
Win7-Pro-64Bit
16GB Ram
Xeon E3-1230v2
GTX 1070 - Driver 411.63

Edit:
I have denoise an Image via Command line.
Works flawlessly.

Then I tried it again in Blender.
Freese… and no Error Message in the System Console.

Hi, apologies for the noob question here but I’ve been up and down the thread and can’t find any information on where the downloaded files need to be saved to. I’ve tried putting them on the root of my C:\ drive including the .py addon and I’ve also tried saving everything to a folder in my scripts folder, ether way blender spews a load of errors when I press the “Denoise” button, I’m certain it’s due to the fact I’m not putting Optix in the correct place and therefore Blender can’t find the .exe

This is the error I’m seeing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\blender_optix_denoiser.py", line 77, in execute
    subprocess.call(args)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\subprocess.py", line 247, in call
    with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as p:
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\subprocess.py", line 676, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\subprocess.py", line 955, in _execute_child
    startupinfo)
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Any help would be great, thanks.

Place all in your Script-Folder
Denosier_v2.1 (complete Folder, do not rename)
icons -Folder
blender_optix_denoiser.py

at the very bottom

Unfortunately that’s still not working, getting the same error as above. I’m using 2.79 final, should I be using master perhaps?

To be clear, the file “blender_optix_denoiser.py”, the folder “icons” and the folder “Denosier_v2.1” have all been put in:

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts

The addon loads fine and I see all the options, just pressing any of them sparks the error.

Got to bottom of the issue, the Denoiser/icons folder and the .py need to be in the /scripts/addons/ folder specifically. :wink: