OptiX support for Cycles and RTX cards is now avaible!

Straight from AI gigapixel this time with slightly different settings not such an extreme noise reduction.
No color loss this time even though it’s saved as only a jpg and SRGB ie exactly the same as the source image. Which is all i had to work with. And for your info if i saved at 16bit tiff it will not simply make the 8 bit image reside in a larger 16bit file, it will actually add new color data to it, because that’s how machine learning functions.

Perhaps you could actually point out what is so lousy about the the upscale, rather than just blatantly attack it because you favour or have a personal connection to another software?

Now hold on there Cowboy :slightly_smiling_face: I’m not attacking anything. I’m not a video game kid tied by blood to any one system.
The original photo isn’t yours, and the program you used to upsample it doesn’t belong to you either, so don’t take it too personally. I just stated that the algorithm used did a lousy job, which I stand by that comment.

As for color depth I will say that I’m not sure how 3D handles color depth, being that there was never actually light hitting a sensor and then being debayered and converted to ones and zeros.
But I’ll stand by what I said if 3D bit depth works like any typical real world photo.
No program can turn a 8bit (real world) photo into a 16bit depth photo. Not yet at least. Once you compress that info it is gone forever. Like I said though, 3D images may be completely different. The computer just says, “here’s your color depth back” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:

What I can see from flipping back and forth of those three photos you supplied first is, the trees in the background look a lot softer, along with the sky, under the awning some of the detail is gone, details in the pond are less.
Upscaled image also looks very desaturated but you said that was an error on your part so thats not s fault of the program.

Edit: also this is an important part… even if they look similar to the eye, color depth means so much more. An 8bit photo, even if you package it in an 16 bit format will break when grading exactly were the original 8bit photo would.

I work in the tradeshow industry, It is a very expensive form of marketing . To give a sense of scale, it probably cost maxon ~$15,000 just for that overhead sign. Note that that is only fabrication, Typically most shows charge a fee for every pound of display you bring onto the show floor, that sign looks like it weight a couple hundred pounds at least, so it probably cost $300-400 just to bring it in. Labor to assemble everything on site is usually about $100/hour, and it probably took a crew of 3 people a couple hours to get that sign hung and wired, so there’s $600ish in labor. Plus you need to pay to rent the electricity for those lights, and they have overhead lights too.

I can’t see the rest of that maxon booth, but I’d be surprised if they spend less than $150,000 for their whole booth

I’d much rather see the BF hire a couple developers than buy a sleek booth.

what the… there are contries you can buy a house with that kind of money. I’m definitely in the wrong industry :smiley:

2 Likes

All for a 3 day show.

In china and some parts of europe, they build the booths on site, just like building a house. Framed out walls with 2x4s and drywall sheathing. Then when the show is done, they bulldoze everything into dumpsters.

The tradeshow industry is the second most wasteful industry in the world, right after construction.

well, I guess it’s marketing and it pays off… just crazy that some painted drywall and a couple lights costs more than I make in a year.

a rough estimate of construction cost for a tradeshow booth is $100-$250 per square foot. Booths at bigger shows (like E3) can be 100’x150’ or even larger. Companies like Sony or Microsoft will routinely spend millions of dollars every single year on that show alone. That’s why every few years, you’ll see companies pulling out of tradeshows like E3 and just doing their own thing.

Even that little blender booth, which looks like a show site rental probably cost the foundation at least 10k.

wow… that is literally the price for houses. Thanks for sharing all this info, this is really interesting. I’d have never guessed that it’s this expensive.

1 Like

In Kansas, you can build a rather decent house in most places for just half that price, and is the same story in many of the less populated and less scenic regions in the US. That is quite a far cry from places like San Francisco where 150,000 dollars may get you a studio apartment (if you are lucky).

As for how much the BF is willing to spend on a booth. At this point, they would sacrifice a lot of money otherwise used for development if they did something fancy.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’ll pay off, but looking at pictures of Jensen Huang sitting at a table with a laptop on it in what seems to be a mostly empty room, it really makes you think when seeing prices that compare to house building costs.

I think I’d have just set up a tent in the parking lot, maybe payed for a sign spinner or a hostess… :smiley:

And don’t forget that Ton is a Dutchman. We are no big spenders. :wink:

2 Likes

I very much hope so. Looking at these prices I was afraid for a while he blew half the epic fund on that 50 inch flatscreen. :smiley:

1 Like

Marketing rule number one.
Good products need no marketing.
Marketing rule number two.
Only bad products need marketing.

1 Like

According to the Siggraph website, they charge $41/sf. That looks like a simple 10x20 sf booth. Each 10x10 booth segment also comes with a 500 watt power outlet. BI looks like they brought a couple of computers and maybe a TV. Likely they could work with the supplied power. Most shows at least offer a simple pole and drape setup and some tables with a booth space for someone that isn’t bringing in a major production. It looks like BI hung some pre-printed promo on that simple pole and drape structure. That sort of printing could be had for under $1000 and re-used.

I’ve exhibited in the LA Convention Center before - a 1200 SF booth with 50 computers, 16’ drape and banners, etc, etc. I bring all my own gear. They’ve never bothered me about unloading and setting up my own booth. In fact, I’ve exhibited all over the country for the last 15 years and only one time (in Denver) have I ever been required to use onsite labor for anything. And that was just the once and I’ve been exhibiting there since 2005.

So I really don’t think the BI spent all that much on that booth. Maybe a $2000, tops.

1 Like

E-Cycles is already with Blender 2.80 final. You have everything from 2.80, plus some part of 2.81 and all the additions I made. Plus if you buy until Sunday, you will get a free upgrade to E-Cycles Optix with up to 4x faster rendering and you benefit from the sales with 25% off on Gumroad or Blender Market.

1 Like

Untill Sunday you say? Is the AMD issue fixed?

1 Like

Yes until Sunday. You mean the Ryzen bug on Linux? Yes, the build for Ryzen CPUs on Linux is available now, it requires a distro with glibc > 2.17 like all latest LTS releases and all rolling releases. Windows and Mac work normally with the standard build.

Ah yes, that was a bit vague indeed. But you knew what I was referring to. Btw. is there some kind of a upgrade plan for existing users of the “Make Your Own Blender” Course? I am tempted to jump in but have to justify it to my budget :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m wondering:

When CUDA is active, there’s a CPU + GPU option. Is this a CUDA-only option, or could the CPU be added to the OptiX method as well. In that case, I hope that will soon follow for even more rendering speed.

1 Like

People who take part to the course have 50% off E-Cycles if that is your question? But we should go in the E-Cycles/course thread to keep the Optix discussion here.

1 Like