OSX CMD-W quits Blender without asking to save

You might be right, It’s 5-6 years since I sat in OS X on a daily basis, I’m probably confusing it with it working in Ubuntu…

Edit: Really? They screwed up a thing like keyboard support on older MBP’s? That sux… Apple spends all it’s energy on iOS it seems, OS X just isn’t what it used to be. Really sad… :frowning:

Maybe, if someone would commit a patch, They could take it into account… :eyebrowlift:

paolo

maybe i set up a new thread specific for “fix” quit.blend save ui settings?

actually they messed up the new ones. my old macbook pro has numpad functionality on [f6 activates 6-9/z-o/h-l/n-: as numpad], new one doesn’t have this. not shure is osx issue or design fart…

LOL - don’t bother, this is one of things that will stay as it is until the devs just change it. As I wrote earlier, things like this are futile to fight over in FOSS development. And this is not criticism on FOSS - I love FOSS - it’s just a statement of reality. ;D

The only thing I can think of to get this function is cash. Like starting a separate fund, I bet $1.000 is enough, and donate it to the Blender dev. fund earmarked primarily for implementing this functionality. That might work. Might. :slight_smile:

@zavigny thx for clarification. i’will have a look at the patch.
“It’s probably not a very important change compared to all the bigger issues the devs are dealing with” thats absolutely true, but somehow Blender is never running out of new/more important features/problems;-) It’s probably a general open source issue, where developer much more like to add new/“amazing” stuff, which is absolutely fine, i’m just bit concerned about usability in general, since i use blender for freelance work, and there’s a lot of stuff which i think should be more user-friendly.

But anyway, i will leave the [cmd+w] “issue” as it is, and live greatly without it :wink:

thx for all your opinions and time

bashi

Seems the warn-when-quiting-thingie is now gonna be standard from version 2.63… There are old-school users tearing their hair in anger over the stupid newbies now, hehe… ;D

@Farmfield: “Seems the warn-when-quiting-thingie is now gonna be standard from version 2.63… There are old-school users tearing their hair in anger over the stupid newbies now, hehe… ;D” where, what? hope not caused by me :wink:

Hehe… In FOSS projects, there are almost always a request which are deemed ‘stupid’ by the long time users and/or the devs. In GIMP it used to be the single window mode, in Blender it seemed to be the warn-when-quitting-dialog… Now we have single window mode in GIMP and a warn-when-quitting dialog in Blender… So the newbies won at last. That’s gotta sting a little for the long time users, hehe…

(on the other hand, stupidity always wins in the long run, that’s just statistics, hehe ;D)

I’m not tearing my hair in anger. I’m naturally bald. :slight_smile:

The patch actually makes me quite happy now. It will allow us to turn the “Are you Sure?” dialog box ON or OFF if we want. It seems the best, and most fair solution to me. Some people obviously need to have their hands held when they cross the street, while some others would rather blindly run into traffic. Myself, I choose living on the edge!

if i understand right the patch will be in 2.63 then. i think a good solution for everyone. (exept long time user, which have to set the option in preferences first, or is it disabled by default… :wink:

anyway, i didn’t think there will be a conclusion in the end.

and btw farmfield. i don’t know if newbies really won :wink: do they even know it? For me it’s more of a thing which helps blender gets more usefull for professionals… (not like me, yet :wink: but then again another story.

And though I’m not a long time Blender user, in situations where I want to pull my hair, i need tweezers as it’s (almost) always trimmed veeery short, hehe… ;D

Yes, being given a choice is always best. I you want it, here you go, otherwise just ignore it… Though I don’t really agree on this being about the user so much as the users behaviour. I use stuff like [alt]+[f4] pretty aggressively, thus are more in danger of making mistakes like shutting an app down, but it’s all about getting stuff done fast. People who are more methodical don’t get the same problem… :slight_smile:

And it seems the patch is already in the build I use of GraphicAll and I activated it just an hour ago or so. And it didn’t take more than 15 minutes before I would have accidentally shut blender down but now I got an ‘are you sure’ instead. Very nice. :slight_smile:

On osx it’s still the same (r45308). Haven’t found anything in sys pref as well. Is it really in Trunk?

I’ll reply with a quote from above. :frowning:

So it seems it’s Windows only - for now at least. :frowning: