Outlast Inspired Short Animation

Hello Everyone! (●’◡’●)

New here,just wanted to share a little animation i made in Blender inspired from the horror game Outlast! I really liked the feel that the camera adds to the environment so i decided to make something similar!

For this project,i used Fspy so that i could easly model the hallway from a photo,i also projected some of the textures of the image and hand painted some blood in there as well,for the grungy and creepy feel.
You can see more of my works at my artstation

I also have a small Youtube channel where you can find some of my recent animations + some enjoyable timelapses.

https://cdn-animation.artstation.com/p/video_sources/000/387/330/final.mp4

Feedback is always welcome! :slightly_smiling_face::hugs::blush:

12 Likes

Nice work! I like the sparking electricity temporarily darkening the room. Have you thought of adding unexplained glitches (confession, my current obsession) to the camera view?

1 Like

Nice work. There’s something with the electricity… Maybe that it’s too ‘same’ all the way from top to bottom. I’d try splitting it up in three phases. First one, light and sparky (as is). Second, while traveling down to floor, a bit dampened, slightly less light/white and somewhat warmer in color. And last, when hitting floor, sparks up again (more light; reintroduce a bit of the white again).

I also think the movement is a bit slow. Makes you wonder what the viewer represents. A robot or a human? If human, slightly reduced cam bumps and slightly faster progression forward (not much) might be good.

I’d also make the darkness a tad more extreme when the light breaks. Not much, just a teaspoon.

1 Like

Thank you!,and yes i really like adding glitch effects as well ,i think though that the animation length was a bit short and need some more time for added fx. Either way thanks for the suggestion!

Huge thanks for taking time to take a look at the animation and giving me tips on how to improve it!

Firstly,totaly agree with the sparks,i got the effect quick and dirty using some particle physics with force fields (i am not really good at simulations,heh),about the lighting with the sparkles,the color change is too gradient it just goes from white to a strong saturated orange,didnt look at any video refrence (huge mistake!),this goes for the ‘bouncing effect’ as well.
Also the movement is indeed slow as its supposed to be since the character is injured,i agree with the bump part,it might be too strong…Also you can identify him as a human from the heavy breathing (you can hear it clearly when the light turns off).
About the darkness of the environment,i am having a hard time adjusting values and colors generally since i am using a TN monitor :((,but, i should have made it a bit darker indeed!
Again huge thanks for taking the time to give some well thought and constructive criticism!

1 Like

Remind me of Outlast … Awsome… love the enviroment

1 Like

Glad you like it!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thats Great! Thank you so much (⓿_⓿)

1 Like