Overlapping animations

I am about to learn modelling and animating for a game.

Currently i made a simple human who got some animations like idle, walking, sitting and so on.
Now i want to add some attacking animations so my programmer can start a simple fight system to build on. So a simple punch is made easily.

But what if i want my model to punch while walking?
He should be able to to punch every time during his walk. So i think a simple punch animation while he walks would not do what i want because either he will only punch when the walk animation is at a point where the punch animation starts, or he will reset the feet and the rest of the body to the start of the punch animation.

Is there a way to get this without making tons of animations for every 5th frame of the walk animation?
Maby by splitting the body into two parts and the lower part plays the walk and the upper the Punch?

This would also be usefull for looking around, jumping ect.

I am using Blender 2.79 and we work with Unity as game engine.

I’m not sure if I’m qualified to be offering any advice on this matter since I am a relative beginner with what I would generously call a minimal amount of experience with animation :expressionless:, but with what little experience I have, I might be able to at least offer a tiny amount of help.

When I was working on a online beginner’s course for learning how to use Unreal Engine 4, one of the things I had to do as a part of the course was to rig a character model to be able to fire a gun while running. Its been a while since I worked on that course, but from what I remember the process involved combining two different animations, a shooting animation and a running animation, together into one.

Based on this past experience, my assumption is that you’ll have to separate the punching animation and the walking animation into two separate animations & then string together to create the desired end result. I’m almost 100% certain that this can be done with Blender, but as I said before, my experience with the animation side of Blender is extremely limited so hopefully someone else here will be able to elaborate upon/make sense of what I’m rambling about.

Well, regardless of whether or not if any of this helps or not, I wish you best of luck in your endeavor :grinning:!

1 Like