Owl Bot - Robotic Planet

Hi everyone!

I’d like to introduce you to Owl Bot, a retro themed robot that unifies an old school CRT television with a boxy owl. This little character is an original concept and fits into the Robotic Planet ecosystem.

I had a lot of fun creating this little bot. In part because I love animating the quick motion of birds, but also because I find solving shader problems very rewarding. The Owl Bots face was particularly fun to put together and is fully procedural with the eyes hooked up to the owls armature and custom properties that control the blur, brightness and transition of the face elements.

This character also includes the use of the ‘limited distance’ constraint to create a telescopic leg effect. This is the first time I have used this constraint in this type of rig and it made me realise how power it can be for automatic motion.

I love bringing these little characters to life and always learn something new. You can see a full breakdown video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kqVDhscLSE

38 Likes

Wow! Are you working toward a short film or compilation of a robot planet?

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Awesome, thanks Bart!

1 Like

Thanks JWC. Yeah, it’s part of little episodic documentary style animation and also the material for a course.

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1: