The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Which is what people want. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kudos to Pablo…

5 Likes

I remember Nicholas Bishop made Blender’s dyntopo. I don’t know whether he based his work off a paper.

i don’t know the accuracy of this story but i heard that pixologic bought Sculptris and brought DrPeter to their team because they were afraid of the competition and zbrush didn’t have dynamic tesselation until recently with “Sculptris Pro”… and the guy who worked on blender’s dyntopo was snatched too by 3D Coat team, that’s why i suggested that BF makes Pablo part of their team before he gets snatched too.

2 Likes

BF is sleeping…

then lets wake them up.

3 Likes

The reality is that the BF will never be able to compete with the salaries a successful commercial entity can offer people with specialized coding backgrounds. Anyone who sticks with Blender as a paid developer for long is either doing it as a side gig, a stepping stone, or out of an ideological desire/necessity.

I know Brecht has acknowledged that he doesn’t get paid market rates when he works for the BF, what I remember is that he does it because the reward is more valuable to him than making more money.

I wouldn’t say it’s purely based on ideology, he just likes the environment that Blender provides. Why else would he come back from not only from working on Octane, but Arnold as well?

11 Likes

A lot can be said for working in a fun environment with friends who like and appreciate your eccentricities, allow you to work at your own pace on code that interests you in a cool space close to coffee shops with good food and bars with decent beer on tap…

6 Likes

Well, that certainly became more and more enticing as it went along. ^^

2 Likes

Farsthary = Unlimited Clay; wasn’t finished/committed before 3d Coat hired him. I think Psy-Fi referenced/used Unlimited Clay for the UV Sculpt tools, though.

Nicholas Bishop = Dyntopo (as well as most of the rest of sculpt mode). This blog post he talks about implementation notes. Last I heard, he was working at a 3d printer company—but I think he was already doing that when he wrote Dyntopo and the Skin Modifier.

Considering that sculpt mode has almost entirely been developed through GSoC projects/volunteers, it’s impressive how complete it is. It’s not a Zbrush killer, but Blender’s sculpt is in better shape than a lot of other areas of Blender (e.g. Vertex Paint and UV Editing).

Oh wow Sculptris…what a blast it was! For me it’s still the best sculpting app even if I rarely fire it up. Super clean interface, minimal number of hotkeys, everything makes sense and amazing feeling of the brushes (even with a mouse) especially the grab one. This overhauling of Blender Sculpting system is a huge boost but I think the critical factor is that a skilled artist is driving the development. The fact that is also a skilled coder makes it the icing on the cake (or the fruit, if you don’t like icing :smiley:).

2 Likes

I actually still use Sculptris lol

1 Like

To be honest, Sculptris Pro in Zbrush is a bit cumbersome and annoying to use smoothly, It also introduces lag. So people saying Blender’s Dynamic topology has lag, forget that Zbrush never had it before, Blender can handle millions of Poly’s if your just using OpenVDB remesh and or Multires. (Maybe not everyone, depends on PC perhaps)

I’ve asked other Zbrush users I know and they agree the actual Sculptris is still better at Adaptive Topology.

1 Like

Non-destructive workflow would be most important to me. However i’m not trying to take away from Pablos great work, he’s made me super excited about sculpting in blender again.

1 Like

Not sure how difficult Sculpt Layers will be to introduce

And he’s the saviour of Blender Sculpting at this point
I hope he gets paid by the Blender fund thought ;7

Yep, Dyntopo was preceded by the dynamic tesselation of Sculptris.

Developers and artists borrow or steal a lot from each other, that’s how it is, and I think Pablo is doing a great job improving Blender’s Sculpt capabilities, but I’d call it imitation rather than innovation.

People have converged on sculpt workflows that have informed the development of Sculptris, ZBrush, 3D Coat and the rest. It seems daft for something like Blender, which aims to be very rounded, accessible software, not to learn from and be very instructed by that. With the opaque, property-based economies we have, people are forced to deal with the overhead of reinventing before they can improve or innovate on their competition. Too bad more couldn’t find alternatives like the Blender Foundation has. Then we’d have all the best developers co-operating, and sometimes competing, to innovate.

2 Likes

You know, I really don’t see this is being a competition between B;ender and Zbrush. There are just somethings Zbrush will always be better at. But that’s okay. Blender is definitely getting better but there’s also things that Blender can do that Zbrush can’t. :wink: I mean, it’s not like you can rig and animate a character and render right out of Zbrush.

The fact that we are this close and Sculpting is improving so much is good enough for me. To me, sculpting was never really that bad in the first place. I think we are in a really good spot right now. To me, the rest is really just icing on the cake.

1 Like

Sigh. Alas, not a single challenger out there. I wonder why it’s so difficult to make something like this? I mean, obviously Pixologic did it. There have been so many project, papers and little specialized apps out there trying to make something even slightly equivalent to Zremesher but nothing even comes close. I really don’t get it.

1 Like

Mask extraction is one of the big things missing in blender at the moment. :wink:

1 Like