'paint.grab_clone' not working

In the latest revisions, in texture painting, I’m no longer able to chose the clone source for clone brush, that is, to move the cursor, neither in 3d viewport nor in image editor. The shortcut seems to be set correctly to pressing RMB.

Before to report it as bug in the tracker, I would like someone could confirm or refute it, maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks,

paolo

I just noticed that also ‘paint.sample_color’ shares the same ‘Right Mouse Press’ shortcut by default, and if I disable it than the ‘paint_grab_clone’ works.

So, it’s not a bug, but I think that default settings for paint_grab_clone and paint.sample_color should be distinguished, otherwise one or the other would not work.

paolo

From the tons of replies I guess a lot of people makes currently use of the clone brush, :smiley: LOL

The image above is from the default Input preferences.
As you can see Grab Clone and Sample color both sharing the same mouse action, but they collide themselves.
I tried and called ‘view3d.cursor3d’ instead of ‘paint.grab_clone’ and it works the same for the clone source, but still Sample Color doesn’t work, quite obviously.

I wonder how it was formerly, since right click had been working for both, cloning source with the clone brush, and sampling color with the others.

As for 2d painting, clone brush doesn’t work at all.

paolo

1 Like

Have you tried CTRL+Left Click to setup the Clone source (moving the 3D Cursor to there) ?
It has always worked like this for me, i CTRL+Left Click to put the 3D cursor where i want the clone source to be, then i select the Clone brush and i clone paint.
I just tested in r55639 and it still works like this.

Yes Sanctuary, you are right and Ctrl+LBM works to me too.

Better than nothing, but not so easy as RMB during painting, you have to approach the keyboard just for that, and no reason why both sampling, color or texture could not have the same shortcut.

Moreover it opens to some questions:
1 - why I have not any Ctrl+LMB shortcut set for painting, still it works;
2 - What those setting in the above image are for?
3- Why both the two sampling functions can’t directly make use of the cursor position as source?
4 Clone brush doesn’t work in 2d image manager, why?

Thank you,

paolo

1 - The very odd thing is that in 2.66a , in the Input tab if i search for “Set Clone” i have the actual texture paint shortcut , CTRL+Left CLick
But in a more recent version of Blender, Set Clone end into nothing.
But if i search for “Image Paint” , i see 2 results, and one of them is the CTRL+Left Click.
I’m not sure what the devs are doing, so can’t say if it’s a bug, looks very odd to me.

2 - There i have no idea, what’s the difference between grab clone and clone, maybe it has to do with what Psy Fi is doing, the refactoring and unification of the brushes between sculpt and paint, as the Grab word reminds me of the grab brush in sculpt mode. Unless it’s just something that’s not yet implemented.

4 - Maybe a bug or maybe the function simply do not exist, only the devs may know. Always seemed odd to me that you couldn’t work in the 2D version of the texture with the clone brush
As Psy_Fi is currently working on the Texture Paint mode and previously he has worked a lot on the UV/Image editor, maybe he could answer this better; you could send him a message.

Or if you think there’s a bug , making a report on the bug tracker could be a good idea.

Sanctuary,

I think you are right, too many changes going on, maybe better to let him work now, and then eventually looking for polishing.
But the weird thing is that I have NO ‘Set Clone’ calls, nor Ctrl+LMB shortcuts !! (And it works!!:eek:)

4- since the clone brush is in the tools for 2d painting, and because sometimes it can be very handy to refine textures better than in 3d view, certainly I would like to have it. We will see, maybe it’s a bug.

I have to think a little more about all the matter, then, eventually, I’ll submit a bug report.

Thanks,

Edit:
I forgot to tell a very important thing: I’m on mac os x… and Ctl+… is a can of worms.

paolo

It seems still to be a problem? I’m not able to use the clone tool in the uv/image editor. It would be very handy to sometimes clone in 2d!

Things have become very confusing to me, I guess because I have still to learn the last changes and relative shortcuts.
Anyway, now you can choose the image you want to clone from, and move it in the proper place, rotate and scale it, through the Right-button-mouse + modif keys, but I couldn’t find a way to clone from the painted image itself.

Anyhow there are so many modes, options and things like stencils, images for the brush, images for the source texture and so on, that I had to give up.
(and if photoshop had all those overflowing options I would have long since given up to him.)

paolo