Paint realistic texxtures

Um, for the first time in my life I’m trying to texture paint a model I’ve sculpted (some of you may recognize it from an earlier thread of mine) and when I had painted in my base colors I realised that I have no idea of breaking them up. Se the pic for what I’ve done so far.

I’ve tried a few things like painting a black color with a “soft light” blending and a cloud texture as a mask, but it didn’t make it look better.
It’s not that I’ve no reference pictures for the details, it’s that I dont know how to paint them.

See, I’ve never done this before, whats the usual workflow to create realistic textures - in this case some kind of gorilla skin texture.

Blend: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bxojvwf21nbvdq/Vargmonster2.blend?dl=0

Thanks!

The first rule of Texture Pain Club is: Save the image you’re painting. If you ‘generate’ an image in Blender, and don’t save it as an external file, it will not save any changes you make to the image when the blend file is closed. I’m probably not the only one that’s put in hours of paint work only to open the file the next day to stare at blank pink walls :mad:

The second rule of Texture Pain Club is: Save the image you’re painting!

Now that that’s out of the way…

Texture Painting can be a messy and cumbersome and sometimes hair-pulling experience, especially for the initiate. A good workflow and organization are key, so you are on the right track mentally.

You can load an image into the brush’s Texture, set its mode to Stencil, and it will enable you to ‘airbrush’ that image across the surface of your geometry. It’s probably not going to give you the most professional results, and takes some trial&error before you get comfortable with it, but once you do it’s a very fast and effective way to cover a lot of surface. And (personally at least) it’s a hell of a lot of fun!

Tips: While in Texture Paint Mode, Shift+F lets you adjust the hardness of your brush. Ctrl+F lets you rotate your stencil (a handy feature I just stumbled across recently!)

There is a lot more you can do with this, but this is the basics to get you started!

Thanks, then the details part is solved!
But shouldn’t I also try to give the skin varying color shades, so its not the same blue color all over? If so, what would be the best way to do it (noise textures)?

You can set the color of the brush, and it will add (multiply, technically) that color shade to the stencil image. Or you can go in with a normal (non-stencil) brush and use different blend methods (Multiply, Screen, Color, etc) to alter the shade/hue without disturbing the original details too much.

To use a bit of Color Theory, you should be able to blend in a slight amount of yellow/orange (maybe in the dark furry parts) to get a rich shade of blue.
Likewise, if your werewolf were primarily yellow, you could add some blue to get a rich shade of yellow.

Remember, you can stack textures on top of each other. Maybe try painting a few different texture layers a few different colors and try mixing the layers in different ways to see what you can come up with. I’ve found that playing around like this often results in one running into ‘happy mistakes’.

Yay, now after a week I have finnished the textures:

Apart from these I also have created normal maps.
I am very satisfied with it but I still don’t think the skin look realistic enough, as if there is something missing. Any ideas?

He looks very ‘soft’. I would start working on defining his musculature a lot more. This guy looks like he should have a bodybuilder’s muscle tone, at least.
Throw a multi-resolution modifier on this guy, and start working on him in sculpt mode.

Start looking for reference images. Find the animals you’re taking features from here and study their own muscle structures. You don’t have to replicate them exactly (you are creating a monster here, he can look however you want), but that will give you some good ideas of where to start.

(randomly grabbed from google images)