Paper folds and creases material

Hello All,

I come back to you again for your expertise, I am currently texturing models for a product animation. The box has tiny little paper fold marks and creases all around it, I have a general material on the box, but I am unsure how I should make the little fold marks. I have never used the blender image editor / texture painting functions in blender, is this what I should be looking into?

If you have any other comments on the materials compared to the reference image, I would love to hear it.

Thank You.

You might be able to accomplish this texture with some noise and wave textures mixed together a bit? Also maybe with some normal and displacement, depending on your rendering choice (cycles/eevee).

That advice is a bit loose and fast with no real demonstration of how to use or mix the nodes procedurally to get the texture closer to how you might want. Are you comfortable with nodes in the shader editor? It looks like you’ve got some procedural bump/roughness on your glass shader, perhaps.

For something like this I’d recommend procedural textures over image editing/texture painting, but that’s just my two cents.

Thank you for the recommendation, currently I’ve got a few image textures on here, one for paper, one for imperfections on the glass, it’s just speeding up my render a bit.

I’m not sure how I would go about creating the seams in procedural? Would I want to look into the geometry node to use the pointiness factor to pin were the seems go?

What do you have in mind?

Thank You.

1 Like

Are you mostly worried about these kinds of folds?

If so, I might model those folds with polygons, if I were you.

For this kind of texture, that’s what I was thinking might work with texture nodes:

Here’s a screenshot of the material setup for this procedural texture. I haven’t fiddled with the UV’s too much, but you might want to manually set your seams and use the UV texture coordinate node. Here, I took the lazy option and just projected from view. Mind you, I have zero experience making realistic textures, this just looked good to my eyes.

And here’s a couple renders with this material on a six-sided object. Mind you they’re only 200 samples with heavy DOF to hide my sins.

I’m not sure if this is helpful, but maybe food for thought!

Thank you for your input! I am looking mostly at those small edges, you referenced first!, I tried the small polygons, but they appeared like rouge geometry, should I be using a transfer modifier to try and blend?