Papercraft pangolin - advent calendar/candy box

Cardboard pangolin by Lucky_ was a huge inspiration for this project. The scales gave me an idea to make a pangolin-shaped advent calendar and the pose looks way better than symmetric one.
I wanted to create a custom advent calendar this year, but I’ve started pretty late and as the result finished it around Christmas. Also it has way more windows than traditional advent calendar (perforating which was the most time consuming part). So candy box is more appropriate description for it.

Modeling (>15 hours):

• sculpting symmetric model
  • retopologizing high poly to low poly
  • posing with pose brush in sculpt mode
  • separating parts (body, head, tail, paws)
  • preparing body part to contain spacious chambers, adding flaps for windows
  • exporting with Export Paper Model addon (built-in) :heart:
  • modeling scales, claws

Cutting and glueing (~60 hours):

• printing exported patterns on paper
  • transferring patterns on card stock (thick paper). I’ve saved some time by not cutting paper pattern accurately, but making holes through paper to card on corners.

• glueing parts separately, filling chambers with sweets, glueing everything together

Details - cutting and glueing scales and claws (~30 hours).

First time making camera animation, hope noone gets motion sickness >_<

Scales animation done with GN by adapting Erindale’s tutorial.

Afterthoughts:
If I knew beforehead I would glue body parts in different order to lessen gaps that occured besause of accumulated errors.
I’m really glad how it turned out even though it took this long.

5 Likes

Nice work Is this Origami or Paper Sculpting or both? That is not only a Job well done but also a lot of work and time. I don’t have the patience for that so Good Job on both the patience and skill.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words :relaxed:
I think it can be called Paper Sculpting - score and fold.

Ha, ha, this is crazy, love it :slight_smile:
And big respect to your dedication ( 60 + hours of making ).